We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

E=Visa (X2 for longer stay)

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
22 posts
E=Visa (X2 for longer stay)
Save

Hello

With Ho Chi Minh City being the most preferred port of entry, I am posting here:

I have previously posted having a 30-day E-Visa already in hand, and having a 6 weeks trip end of May 2022.

So I have applied for another 30-day E-Visa and successfully got the payment processed and awaiting Electronic Visa sent to me to print out.

Knowing there are currently no other form of VOA out there for tourists such ad myself. I will update if I have another 30-day E-Visa in hand.

39 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
9 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: E=Visa (X2 for longer stay)
Save

What is the reasoning when the rules at the moment are 30 day evisa only do you plan to leave Vietnam and return to active the second evisa? my understanding is that you activate the first visa by entering Vietnam then leave anytime up to 30 day. The second visa will be activated on rentry as the rules are still 30 day evisa unless you have an exemption. You might well get a second evisa but that might be issued on the grounds that you have not yet entered the country and have changed the date of travel. If you don't leave the country the second visa is invalid and you are an overstayer

Edited: 25 April 2022, 10:18
Dollar, United...
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: E=Visa (X2 for longer stay)
Save

> You might well get a second evisa but that might be issued on the grounds that you have not yet entered the country and have changed the date of travel.

There's always been the suspicion that a later application cancels any previously granted but unused E-Visa.

Based on:

> The previous e-Visa application will be cancelled once the new e-Visa is issued.

In the FAQ: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/faq

I would have done the applications the other way round, so the risk i was running was being 'stuck' in Cambodia, not denied boarding or entry on my initial flight.

I guess we'll see.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3. Re: E=Visa (X2 for longer stay)
Save

That's a scary thought manatdollar, saying the first E-Visa a invalid if the second E-Visa is granted.

Will update for sure.

If not granted, I have to do a border run as I had previously seen on YouTube.

Dollar, United...
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: E=Visa (X2 for longer stay)
Save

> I have to do a border run

Even if you have made two valid E-Visa applications, you need to do a border run anyway. Just having another E-Visa doesn't extend your stay or change the "Permitted to remain until.." date in your passport.

But if you applied for an E-Visa for your initial arrival in Vietnam, then applied for one with a later date to 'extend' your stay, there's a fair chance that the E-Visa you expect to use to fly to Vietnam may be invalid.

Airlines can check the validity of E-Visas: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en_US//web/guest/hang-van-tai

If you did it that way round, you're running the risk that the airline won't let you fly or that you'll be denied entry to Vietnam (and made to fly back home or pay lots of $s to sort it out at a time when you're out of other options).

If you did it the other way round, all you risk is getting stuck in Cambodia or wherever until you can get another E-Visa to come back to Vietnam. (Of course, that isn't risk free if you're cutting it fine for getting back to Vietnam for a flight home.)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,984 posts
40 reviews
28 helpful votes
5. Re: E=Visa (X2 for longer stay)
Save

Yes, Huy.

Like manat said, you may be running the risk that the second EVisa Application would void the first one.

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/faq#:~:text=After%20entering%20Vietnam%20by%20e,Residence%20of%20Foreigners%20in%20Vietnam.

You may want to contact them to sort it out.

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/lien-he

Cheers,

John

Colorado
Level Contributor
438 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: E=Visa (X2 for longer stay)
Save

I do have a second E-Visa in hand, running consecutively with the first, now to research if the first is void.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam, Hanoi
Level Contributor
15,648 posts
7. Re: E=Visa (X2 for longer stay)
Save

"....now to research if the first is void."

Let's say it's not void.

How do you activate it when you're already in the country?

Scott

Boracay, Philippines
Level Contributor
92 posts
8. Re: E=Visa (X2 for longer stay)
Save

Many ppl before and after COVID have had 2 visas. They may have put in the incorrect dates, changed their flights etc. maybe they are only in SEA for a month but want to go to SR, Pp, Loas for a few days. But now that the most are doing visa runs. How does someone know if the individual is going to leave Vietnam in under 30 days? Just look back at the threads here on TA and see ppl itineraries that want to go to several countries in less then 30 days. Ppl will book a round trip ticket from Vietnam and need 2 active visas and they get them.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam, Hanoi
Level Contributor
15,648 posts
9. Re: E=Visa (X2 for longer stay)
Save

"How does someone know if the individual is going to leave Vietnam in under 30 days?"

Well they don't, but in your passport it is stamped - "Permitted to stay until (insert date that is on the visa)".

"Just look back at the threads here on TA and see ppl itineraries that want to go to several countries in less then 30 days."

In the days when you could a multiple entry visa?

Which at present, the e-visa is not.

Scott

Edited: 28 April 2022, 04:52
Dollar, United...
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
10. Re: E=Visa (X2 for longer stay)
Save

And the statement on the E-Visa website:

> Khi TTĐT mới được cấp, TTĐT cũ sẽ không còn giá trị.

Whether that always actually happens or not, it's pretty clear that that's what's *meant* to happen. If @trekkingtheworld2015 is guaranteeing that it *never* happens, then we can all rejoice.

Reply to: E=Visa (X2 for longer stay)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ho Chi Minh City
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.