We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mask wearing in HCMC

Maroondah, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
110 reviews
105 helpful votes
Mask wearing in HCMC
Save

Appreciate any replies! Please let me know what the cure mask situation is in HCMC. We arrive this coming Saturday. I have researched and it appears that you must wear a mask in “public places”. So I assume yes for say Ben Thanh Market….but what about walking the streets? I get that streets are public places, but wondering what is the reality at the moment? Thank you!

16 replies to this topic
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
70 reviews
50 helpful votes
1. Re: Mask wearing in HCMC
Save

Yes the rule is masks are required I'm public places.

The reality on the ground us is a bit more relaxed now than a few months ago and you see some people walking around outside with out them. In malls and indoor places almost 100% of people wear them. I'm not sure security would let you in without one but it's no big deal. Carry one with you, wear it in public places and you can take it off when you sit to eat or drink in restraunts etc.

Maroondah, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
110 reviews
105 helpful votes
2. Re: Mask wearing in HCMC
Save

Thank you MsLulu I really appreciate your reply!

Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
3. Re: Mask wearing in HCMC
Save

Hi

Was in HCMC in April for 5 days. People generally dont wear mask outdoor or clubs. Suggest to bring and wear them esp indoor for your own protection. have fun.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
70 reviews
50 helpful votes
4. Re: Mask wearing in HCMC
Save

Sorry Eric that's just not correct.

The vast majority of people wear a mask in public whether inside or outside. Masks come off in places like restraunts and bars and some people don't wear them in gyms but masks on pretty much the rest of the time.

Tbh I don't think it's entirely cos of covid now, lots of people prefer to wear them becuase of the pollution but it simply isn't accurate that most people walking around hcmc don't wear a mask because they do.

12 posts
5. Re: Mask wearing in HCMC
Save

I think these discrepant reports arise because there are certain tourist-oriented areas, ie Bui Vien, where there is not a lot of mask wearing, whereas out and about during the day in normal areas almost everyone is still wearing masks unless eating/drinking. I have also noticed some waning of mask wearing in evening when folks go out to socialize.

There were a mere 17 cases reported in HCMC yesterday, so as a guest I just look around and adopt a "when in Rome" approach. I suspect things will gradually relax if cases stay this low.

Maroondah, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
110 reviews
105 helpful votes
6. Re: Mask wearing in HCMC
Save

Dear Eric, MsLulu & Jeff

Thanks to all of you for your advice!

Cheers Brad

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
11,915 posts
249 reviews
185 helpful votes
7. Re: Mask wearing in HCMC
Save

My Vietnamese wife keeps reminding me to put on my mask even when riding my motorbike otherwise the police will pull me over and the fine is in the millions of dong although I cant remember the precise figure but sufficient to scare my.

So it's still a law.

Edited: 16 May 2022, 02:49
Don
3 posts
8. Re: Mask wearing in HCMC
Save

Science once again. lol

Colorado
Level Contributor
438 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
9. Re: Mask wearing in HCMC
Save

As of today, I'd say around 85% people wear their masks out and about.

Paris, France
1 post
10. Re: Mask wearing in HCMC
Save

Is it still the case now?

Reply to: Mask wearing in HCMC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ho Chi Minh City
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.