We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can taxis be trusted?

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Can taxis be trusted?

Im going to visit Saigon this first week of June.

I am excited and at the same time scared because my friend cant meet me at the airport.

Moreover, I will arrive at around 1 A.M. and i am wondering if the taxi drivers at the airport can be trusted to take me to my hotel.

Will they likely cheat on me??

I really need advice.

P.S. is there any way to get to District 1 by bus?

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can taxis be trusted?

Bus only works during the day. I have no problem with taxis, try get a maiLinh. Make sure the meter is on.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,653 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can taxis be trusted?

If you're still worried about getting the right taxi, ask your hotel to arrange one for you. It will cost a little more but you will have peace of mind and know that someone at your hotel will be waiting for your arrival and not have given your room away.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can taxis be trusted?

Hi, if I was arriving at 1AM I would probably get my hotel to pick me up as well. If you want to save a couple of dollars just make sure you use a Mai Linh Taxi. Type in Taxi in the search section and you will see Heaps and Heaps of information.

cheers and happy planning

Viv

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can taxis be trusted?

Or Vin Sun taxi....

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
623 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can taxis be trusted?

A Mai Linh taxi will cost about $8 to your hotel (if in District 1) and is very safe. turn left when you exit the terminal and you will see all the taxi's. There will be a person there is a green uniform and tie who will get you a Mai Linh taxi. If they try punting you in a different one keep insisting you want a Mai Linh, one will come soon enough.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can taxis be trusted?

The number of posts in the short time from post 1 shows that Taxis in HCMC cannot be trusted, with the exception of the 2 named, MAI LINH and VINASUN. Please take note of the spelling and dont take anything that looks a bit like it.

There will be a taxi Marshall at the kerbside but he works for all and probably gets a commission for his work from some. At 1 am I dont think you will find a Mai Linh or Vinasun representative at that time of night.

Just take your time looking around when at the kerbside and ask the Marshall for a Mai Linh or Vinasun and DONT take anything else. If the Marshall fails to deliver then you can go back into the Terminal building and go upstairs to the Departures lounge and wait at the kerbside until a Mai Linh or Vinasun taxi drops a passenger off and ask to be taken to your hotel by that taxi. An alternative to this is to take the 5 minute walk to the Domestic terminal and do the same thing there.

A good test of the Taxi honesty is to ask how much the fare is likely to be. Currently its around 150,000 Dong. You dont pay extra for luggage and you dont pay any road tolls.

Cheers Ross

7. Re: Can taxis be trusted?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2012, 01:30
USA
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Can taxis be trusted?

Why should taxis be a black eye for Vietnam? Every major cities around the world has an issue with taxis cheating their customers. In NYC and Wash. DC, they have their own police force to watch for taxi cheaters and scammers. So, it's not only Vietnam.

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can taxis be trusted?

I really appreciate all the effort you took in sending me your replies.

Thank you so much and ill keep everything in mind and i hope i will have a great stay in Saigon.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can taxis be trusted?

You should get some taxi's telephone $ and call them to book car.