We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanoi or HCMC?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
219 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Hanoi or HCMC?

Thinking of touring Vietnam next March for around 8 days

would love to cruise the halong bay for a couple of days Haven't done a lot of reading as yet but we love shopping eating and all the other things you do on hols not into architecture or parks

Our budget is mid range and like to stay in the thick of everything love the beach but we will be going to Penang after Vietnam so that's not a problem

Should we fly into Hanoi and hang out around there or fly in HMNC

and then off to Hanoi?

Please help

Regards

Lisa and Darren

leicester
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanoi or HCMC?

It sounds as if you need to research more and see what appeals. 8 days is no time at all in VN so if you want to visit Halong Bay you would be better off flying into Hanoi. Travel takes a long tme between places, ie Halong to Hanoi is a pretty uncomfortable 4 hours in normal traffic so in the time you have you will want to make the most of it rather than excessive travelling. From what you have written about doing the usual things on a holiday, just be aware that nothing you do here will be "usual" It is by far one of the most interesting places I have visited but I have never felt rested on my return and I would not call it a holiday as such more of an endurance test but in a really good way.

If you base yourselves in Hanoi you will have more choice of places to go to within fairly easy reach ie Sapa, Ninh Binh and Hanoi itself which could easily fill 8days on its own.

Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanoi or HCMC?

In the March, the weather is fine and good for travel everywhere in Vietnam.

Option 1

Here is my suggestion:

Day 1. Arrive Ha noi lunch time, spend afternoon for exploring Old Quarter, Cathedral District, Hoan Kiem Lake and night for Thang Long water pupetry show (time: 15h30 – 17h00 – 18h30 – 20h00 – 21h15)

Day 2: HCM mausoleum, Temple of Literature and Vietnam Museum of Ethonology.

Day 3: Morning start to Ha Long (3.5h - 170 km). Then Ha Long Bay cruise and overnight on boat.

Day 4. Finish cruise at lunch time. Back to Hanoi and fly to Da Nang

Day 5 - 8: Relax and leisure with Da Nang beach and Hoi An ancient town as well

Option 2:

Day 1 - Day 3: same as Option 1

Day 4. Finish cruise at lunch time. Back to Hanoi for overnight train to Sa Pa

Day 5 - 7: Enjoying Sa Pa and minority village around. Night 7 overnight train back to Hanoi

Day 8: Bat trang ceramic or Van Phuc silk village and fly back home

Edited: 19 May 2012, 15:04
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,627 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanoi or HCMC?

To get an idea of distance...... HCMC is about a 1000km from Hanoi. More research needed, but if you want to go Ha Long bay, best to just go to Hanoi, in and out. Vietnam is nothing like Malaysia. JoLeicester sums it up quite well.

Ho Chi Minh City...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanoi or HCMC?

Dear Lisa and Darren ,

I think that with 8 days you will be stay In Viet Nam, You can travel from the south to the north of Vietnam.

Here is your schedule (i just recommend )

Day 1 : Take 1 day Trip Mekong Delta in HCMC...

After Mekong Delta trip..At 8:00 pm ,you take bus from HCMC to Da Lat ( 8 hours )..5:00 am Arrival (day 2),check in Hotel (booked before) and take a full day tour in Da Lat.Stay 1 night in Da Lat.

Day 3 : 9 am Take bus from Da Lat to Nha Trang (just 4 hours )..stay 1 night in Nha Trang.

Day 4 : 4 islands tour in Nha trang at 8:00 am.and end tour at 4:30pm.

8:00 pm :Take Train to Da nang ( 11: AM day 5 arrival ) and stay 1 night in Da Nang.

Day 6 : Hue and Da Nang id very near..you can travel by bus .At late afternoon .take plane from Da Nang to Ha Noi.and stay 1 night in Ha Noi.

Day 7 : Take Trip 2 day 1 night tour in Ha Long Bay.(Guide pick up and drop at hotel in Ha Noi )..

Hope you have a nice trip In Vietnam.

Best wishes,

Thaotr

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,917 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanoi or HCMC?

Good grief ThaoTr, poor Lisa and Darren would drop dead with exhaustion at the end of all that! Heaven preserve us from incompetent travel agents.

Stick to the north Lisa and Darren. There are more than enough places there to keep you busy for a couple of weeks or more but you will have time to see about 3 of the highlights.

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanoi or HCMC?

Stick to the north or the south + mekong delta with beaches in Nha trang or Phu quoc.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,627 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanoi or HCMC?

CreakingBones

Good grief ThaoTr, poor Lisa and Darren would drop dead with exhaustion at the end of all that! Heaven preserve us from incompetent travel agents.

----------------

ROTFL CB, maybe he/she is your buddy racing Xe Om rider. Certainly felt like I was on Moto GP. I like the bit about travelling over night to Da Lat and immediately going out all day on a tour. I think someone seriously needs to retrain as a travel agent or at least get a sense of proportion.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,368 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanoi or HCMC?

Vietnam can be a difficult destination, and 8 days is barely enough for that cruise + another stop. Do your homework for Vietnam, or just hang out in Malaysia.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
219 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanoi or HCMC?

Thank you all so much for your much needed expertise advice... was getting very confused I do like the idea of sticking to Hanoi etc... now I have to put my research to the test and see what we come up with we have been to Malaysia numerous times and it sounds like it will be needed after Vietnam and all the travelling

Now I know it will be a completely different experience wasn't sure what to expect...when and if we decide I will be in touch again

Once again Thank You

Regards

Lisa and Darren

10. Re: Hanoi or HCMC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 May 2012, 16:05