We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An to Dong Hoi

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
156 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Hoi An to Dong Hoi

Hi guys,

Seems like the main attractions in Hue are the tombs and pagoda. So Im thinking of visiting these places as I make my way from Hoi An to Dong Hoi, and skipping an overnight stay at Hue all together.

Am wondering if that's doable if I leave Hoi An early in the morning?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Hue
Hue
Thua Thien - Hue Province, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Dong Hoi
Dong Hoi
Quang Binh Province, Vietnam
14 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoi An to Dong Hoi

Doable but you will need to hire a Car to take you. While you're at it consider stopping for a visit at VInh Moc tunnels too ( it's after Hue heading towards Dong Hoi).

Aim to leave Hoi An around 0730 and you should be in dong Hoi by 180O ish ( depending on how long you spend at Hue)

Mentioned in this post
Hue
Hue
Dong Hoi
Dong Hoi
Hoi An
Hoi An
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
156 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoi An to Dong Hoi

Are there any other attractions that are worth visiting? I was reading up on Hue and I'm thinking of doing just the imperial palace, 2 tombs, and thien mu pagoda.

Is it true that we have to take the boat on Perfume river in order to get to Thien Mu pagoda?

Is there any night market or anything to do at Hue at night that will justify us staying one night there?

Also, we are moving on to Dong Hoi after Hue for the caves. If we stay overnight at Hue and leave early next morning to NP for the caves, would we be able to cover the two main caves on that day? Or would we only have time for 1 cave that day and another cave on another day?

Mentioned in this post
Hue
Hue
Perfume River
Perfume River
1,885 Reviews
Hue, Vietnam
Thien Mu Pagoda
Thien Mu Pagoda
3,122 Reviews
Hue, Vietnam
Dong Hoi
Dong Hoi
Hue, Vietnam
Level Contributor
88 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoi An to Dong Hoi

Hello

Hué is a very interesting city, if you really want to enjoy the tomb and the surroundings you can spend a full day going around the countryside, nevetheless you don't need a boat to go to Thien Mu.

Also you can easily spend a good half day in the Royal palace and alsoenjoy some time on the lagoon or even go to the waterfall and meet the ethnic minorities.

Otherwise the trip from Hoi An to Dong Hoi by itself takes 8 hours.

Have a good trip

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Dong Hoi
Dong Hoi
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
156 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoi An to Dong Hoi

Hmm thats weird. I checked google and it says the journey from Hoi An to Dong takes only 5.5 hours. In any case, we'll probably spend a night at Hue after reading through the possible things to do there.

Also, I'm wondering if you know whether we'll be able to visit any caves between Hue and Dong Hoi if we hire a car? If not, is there anything interesting to visit between Dong Hoi?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Hue
Hue
Dong Hoi
Dong Hoi
Hue, Vietnam
Level Contributor
88 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoi An to Dong Hoi

Here in Vietnam the average speed is 50-60 km / hours for the car.

From Hué to Dong Hoi, you can make a stop at the Vinh Moc Tunnel, but the caves are in Phong Nha

Mentioned in this post
Dong Hoi
Dong Hoi
Vinh Moc Tunnel
Vinh Moc Tunnel
286 Reviews
Dong Ha, Vietnam
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hoi An to Dong Hoi

No the caves are 45 mins past Dong HOi, it's not in between hue and dong hoi.

It is probably 5.5 hours between dong hoi and hue if you drive continuously but you said you wanted to do Hue to?

If you want to do the caves tour you'd want to overnight in Dong Hoi and they will come get you early in the morning ( 0730 ish I think). We went with Phong Nha discovery and they were great. TOur finishes up around 1700-1800 in PHong Nha ( or Dong Hoi if you want them to drop you off there).

Mentioned in this post
Dong Hoi
Dong Hoi
Hue
Hue
Phong Nha Hotel
Phong Nha Hotel
127 Reviews
Hue, Vietnam
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
156 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoi An to Dong Hoi

Thanks for the info guys! :) much appreciated

Tarentum...
Destination Expert
for Da Nang, Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoi An to Dong Hoi

You may want to visit the old air base at Khe Sanh and then travel the Ho Chi Minh Hiway East to Dong Hoi. Driver recommended. Some of the most beautiful scenery in VietNam.

Edited: 10 September 2017, 17:01
Mentioned in this post
Dong Hoi
Dong Hoi
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hue
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoi An to Dong Hoi

On the way are the Vinh Moc Tunnels where the villagers lived during the war. It is on the coast about 50 mins north of Dong Ha. There's another 1 1/2 hrs back to the Highway and north to Dong Hoi from there. It is worth the diversion if you have the time - about 30 minutes more driving time plus what you spend at the tunnels.

Regards

rayza

Mentioned in this post
Dong Hoi
Dong Hoi
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hoi An to Dong Hoi

If you do go to Vinh Moc make sure you organise a guide beforehand to take you around (or join a tour). We thought we'd get there and they'd have guides for hire there and there werent so spent 1.5 hours muddling around in the tunnels by ourselves which is something like the Blair Witch project ;(

Reply to: Hoi An to Dong Hoi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted