We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An to Dong Hoi

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
136 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Hoi An to Dong Hoi

Hi guys,

Seems like the main attractions in Hue are the tombs and pagoda. So Im thinking of visiting these places as I make my way from Hoi An to Dong Hoi, and skipping an overnight stay at Hue all together.

Am wondering if that's doable if I leave Hoi An early in the morning?

Thanks!

14 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
44 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hoi An to Dong Hoi

You need to spend at least 1 day to see the site here .The ride from Hoian to Dong hoi takes time

Regards

Anh

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Hoi An to Dong Hoi

I would recommend you stay overnight in Hue, it is pretty at night with the lights on the river, lots to do. Why don't you then stay at Phong Nha, rather than Dong Hoi? It is much closer to the Caves (another 45 minutes) and a much smaller and rural area. We will be staying at Phong Nha Farmstay, which looks amazing. They have free bikes to explore the local area and villages nearby. The locals are very friendly and is more the "real" Vietnam. Dong Hoi is just another town. We are planning to do the 2 main caves in one day heading out from the Farmstay, then the next day exploring the local area by bicycle. Enjoy.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
136 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hoi An to Dong Hoi

Hi guys, there're some new updates to our itinerary. We've decided to travel from Hanoi - Dong Hoi (1N) - Hue (2N) - Hoi An (2N)

Day 1: Hanoi to Dong Hoi (by air: land DH 7.30am, then do caves tour on that day itself - overnight at DH)

Day 2: DH - HUE (Thinking of taking private car from DH to Hue. Along the way visit DMZ/Vinh Moc Tunnel)

Day 3: Hue tour (citadel/tombs/pagoda)

Day 4: HUE - HOI AN (train/bus/car)

The pros of going with private car is that we get to stop wherever we want and most companies stop at other sightseeing places. The con is, of course, the price.

We're thinking of either:

1. private car and include some stops (e.g. DMZ/My Son)

OR

2. train/bus and then join tour groups to DMZ/My Son etc

Questions:

a. What would you guys suggest we do, taking into consideration that we prefer not to spend too much money on transportation and that we have 2N in Hue and 2N in Hoi An to do day trips.

b. I tried going on the vietnam railway website and they only allow me to choose soft seats or hard seats. What are the differences?

And would I be able to choose which side of the train to sit at?

Am I right that the left side of the train (facing direction of travel) is the more scenic side? How to ensure that I get to sit at this side of the train?

Thanks!!

Edited: 16 September 2017, 13:29
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Hoi An to Dong Hoi

Hi there, I'm glad you took my suggestion to stay in Hue. Can't understand why you want to stay in Dong Hoi though lol (Please do your own research on Phong Nha). As you are only going one way Dong Hoi to Hue to Hoi An, I would suggest you go by private tour all the way. There is lots to see eg; Lang Co Beach, Hoi Van Pass etc.... The train won't go that way. There are things to save money on but that's not one of them in my opinion. I like your plan but I do question the lack of time in Hoi An. Please do your own research on what there is to do in Hoi An, as there is heaps to do there & surrounding area. Hoi An town is often voted most people's "favourite" Vietnamese town/city for good reasons. You can easily spend a full day looking around the town and the old houses plus Hoi An restaurants/food are suppose to be "up there" ratings wise. And that's not counting time to "shop" or get any clothes/shoes custom made if you desire. Plus, there are cooking classes, cycle tours to neighbouring areas/rice paddies/bamboo bridges/Hidden Beach, Ang Beach, see local fishing villages and Bamboo boat making, crafts & local Herb/Veg gardens etc........ Also, Hoi An hotels in general are of a very high standard and it is nice to relax and kick back for a few hours - most have pools etc....You will regret it if you don't allow enough time there. That is one of the major highlights of Vietnam. Personally, we have decided to miss DMZ and My Son and do Marble Mountain and spend more time in Hoi An instead. We wish to see the more "real" Vietnam and explore Phong Nha further as far less touristy than Dong Hoi. Phong Nha countryside local people are suppose to be ultra friendly and lots of villages to explore by bike. The farmstay is owned by a local Vietnamese family whom has born & raised in the area.This is why you should personally research everything in the area then make your own choices. Everyone is looking for different things. Usually people also have time or budget restraints, so everything is a compromise and personal choice. Enjoy Mid-Vietnam.

Reply to: Hoi An to Dong Hoi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted