We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two week's in January?

London, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Two week's in January?

Hi,

As a previous visitor to Thailand and one who enjoy's their beaches, i.e. Phuket/Samui/Krabbe/Pattaya/Ao Nang, I feel that perhaps on this occasion I should venture a little wider and discover what else is available in that particular part of Asia.

I appreciate the difficulty of the question but, having seen my usual haunts, any suggestions on where is reasonably accessible for a short two week break from London in January?

I tend to book flights and just wing it whilst there rather than do the package thing. There's nowt like stumbling across your place of rest by chance and simply because that's where your nose led you.

I could do a city for a week if need be (Ho Chi Minh?), and budget is loosely £20-50pd for accommodation. I'm also a fan of flushing toilets as was caught off guard in Samui a couple of years ago when that particular facility proved most welcome.

I will be posting a similar question on the Vietnam forum as this is also an area that I have so far not visited.

Appreciate any advice you can give.

Regards

Philip

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
London, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two week's in January?

Ooops...

Meant to say Phnom Penh not Ho Chi Minh!

Doh!

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two week's in January?

Hi Phil :)

I spent 3 weeks in Cambodia in January of this year. I don't think that Phnom Penh would be an awesome experience for a whole week although was good for a few days, but we spent 1 week in Sihanoukville and another 1 week in Siem Reap and both were incredible experiences! Siem Reap is a awesomely chilled and beautiful town and is home to Angkor as I'm sure you know which again is an incredible experience. Unlike Phnom Penh, Siem Reap has a really laid back vibe to it and is such a great spot to base yourself. But having said that Sihanoukville was also incredible! and if you enjoy beaches is really your only option for Cambodia. The beaches themselves are pretty great in Sihanoukville (serdiptity beach etc) but the beaches on the islands are incredible!!! Which are accessible by a day trip for like $20 or you can stay on the islands but to my knowledge most are lacking electricity and more then likely flushing toliets! Sihanoukville was a great experience we did snorkelling, went to waterfalls and really enjoyed the company of the locals there! However it is PACKED! that time of year, especially if you go towards Chinese New year which is late january i think, thats when we were there and it was really really busy. But that didn't really dampen the experience just be careful you don't get caught out on accommodation cause we really really struggled finding something when we didn't book, and ended up in a really rough joint, but was a good story aha :)

Anyway if you have any other questions let me know!

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville Province, Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
angkor
angkor
19 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two week's in January?

If you can fly into Siem Reap and out of Phnom Penh, this will save some back tracking. Three full days a minimum for SR and two full days a minimum off PP. The rest can be spent exploring the South.

Check out www.canbypublications.com and travel fish for info if you have'nt already

As Jake says above book ahead! It's a busy time of year.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 07:09
Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
London, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two week's in January?

Thank you both very much, lot's to think about...

London, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two week's in January?

Having thought about it, what about 5 days in Siem Riep and the remaining 9 day's in Sihanoukville?

How easy is to get to and from Bangkok at each end of the journey?

Regards

Phil

Mentioned in this post
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two week's in January?

I wouldn't hesitate at all to recommend 5 days in Siem Reap and 9 days in Sihanoukville especially if you enjoy beaches etc :) Sounds perfect, if you can but a few days in Phnom Penh is a very touching experience and holds most of the significant memorials etc from the recent history etc.

But if not that plans sounds awesome!! :)

There won't be any flights leaving Sihanoukville to go to Bangkok so you will have to leave via Phnom Penh or Siem Reap, both SR and PP have flights leaving very regularly to Bangkok and cheap!

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
London, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two week's in January?

Thank you Jake, the point you make about Phnom Penh is well taken as I've been reading today about just how unmissable it is whilst there.

Appreciate your time here.

Philip

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
119 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two week's in January?

You mention some of my favorite beaches in Thailand - Samui, Krabbe, etc. I would suggest a quick stop in Phnom Penh, fly to Siem Reap for a few days, then fly to Sihanoukville. But I would use Sihanoukville as a jumping off point for visiting the islands nearby, or possibly a pepper plantation in Kampot.

My experience on the islands is that many places (reasonably priced) have flush toilets, electricity (though sometimes only for certain hours at night) and wifi.

Please do book your hotels in advance (a couple of weeks at least) to ensure you get the place you want and are not forced to accept something above your budget or not to your liking.

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville
Kampot
Kampot
Kampot Province, Cambodia
London, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two week's in January?

Thank you for your thoughts, espececially regarding prebooking.

I've managed to extend my break to 22 nights which whilst still short, is better than 21 nights! I would like to include HCMC but still plan to 'beach' at least 7 nights.

PP appears a strange conumdrum, worth visiting but, for not too long it would seem.

My main concern is still that this should be a holiday and not an itinary tick-off, therefore having seen my fair share of both large and small Temples, it's the people that I really want to interact with and not so much the objects that bring them there.

A decision has to be made soon...Ish! Lol!

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Two week's in January?

Sound like u love beach, in Cambodia there some nice island you can discover. So let count 1 week in Siem Reap, and 1 week at other island. then Phnom Penh.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia