We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 week itinerary S.Thai-Cambodia-Laos or Laos-Cambodia?

Chester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
3 week itinerary S.Thai-Cambodia-Laos or Laos-Cambodia?

Hello

Was hoping on some friendly travel advice, mainly concerning ease of border crossings & transport options saving time...We would be ever so grateful

We are a couple flying to Bangkok (fly return) having 6 nights in S.Thai then either one of two options keeping in mind the said above:

a) heading north by rail through Nakhon Ratchasima to Laos Chong Mek/Vang Tao border crossing down through Pakse, to Si Phan Don and South into Cambodia heading to Phnom Penh onto the islands, up to Angkor temples & finally through Cambodia to Thai border crossing by rail at Poipet/Aranya Prathet or possibly flying from Siem Reap to Bangkok (yet to look into this)

b) alternatively flying frombangkok to Siem Reep tour Angkor temples and then onto coast as above, through Phnom Penh and North into border corssing at Dong Kalaw/Trapeang Kriel (BUS 7 hrs?) to Si Phan Don, upto Pakse and through border crossing into Thai at Vang Tao/Chong Mek and South to Bangkok

What are people's opinions/experiences or genuine advise on which way round to take this route?

Thanks

Sian & Matt

Mentioned in this post
Si Phan Don
Si Phan Don
72 Reviews
Champasak Province, Laos
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Nakhon Ratchasima
Nakhon Ratchasima
Nakhon Ratchasima Province, Thailand
Laos
Laos
Asia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Poipet
Poipet
Banteay Meanchey Province, Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
angkor
angkor
19 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Kiritrek Outdoor Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Lucky Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Angkor Transport
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Koh Kong, Cambodia
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 week itinerary S.Thai-Cambodia-Laos or Laos-Cambodia?

I personally don't think you have the time to do laos and Cambodia in 2 weeks .i would concentrate on thai then either lao or Cambodia.

Mentioned in this post
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,238 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 week itinerary S.Thai-Cambodia-Laos or Laos-Cambodia?

+1 for Laos & Cambodia OR Thailand and one of them ... you dont have time to fit all three in unless you want to rush round like crazy people and spend more time in buses/trains/plains & stations than seeing/experiencing the actual country.

Mentioned in this post
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,114 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 week itinerary S.Thai-Cambodia-Laos or Laos-Cambodia?

You can see a couple of the main cities in Laos and Cambodia in 2 weeks, that exactly what I did on my first visit there years ago. That would allow you with at least 3 full days at each destination, and then the rest for travel time. (I would not do this trip overland in such a limited timeframe)

Since you are flying in and out of Bangok this time, I'd recommend you spending the time in Thailand and Cambodia. Save Laos for another trip.

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: 3 week itinerary S.Thai-Cambodia-Laos or Laos-Cambodia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 14:15