We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kien Svay/Koki Beach

Bairnsdale...
Level Contributor
208 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Kien Svay/Koki Beach

Have been going to Cambodia for 10 plus years now, and have the opportunity to look around for a couple of weeks, without the work aspect involved.

Would love it if someone has been to Kien Svay/Koki Beach that could give me some idea of what is there. Cost of fish, etc and if its safe to eat.

Also, tuk tuk price......car price??? thanks

4 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,006 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kien Svay/Koki Beach

Hello Aussie38

I've been to Koki Beach a number of times. The word beach should be "beach".

It's a popular family picnic area fairly close to the city and just a very short drive off National Road number 1 where there are platforms built out over the water and where the traditional woven mats are spread out for families or small groups to sit on under shade.

Yes, there are vendors there that sell cooked fish in various forms as well as grilled small turtles etc.

Its also quite close to the Kien Svay cotton weaving village from where many of the kromar seen in the local markets come from.

I've always gone there by tuk tuk or moto dop as it is only less than 30 minutes from central Phnom Penh most of the time.

Do not expect a proper beach scene there but not a bad place for city dwellers to be out of their tiny apartments/rooms and out in the fresh air and open space with friends/family. Drinking and eating are the popular pastimes there.

I hope that this gives you a general idea of the place.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Bairnsdale...
Level Contributor
208 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kien Svay/Koki Beach

Hey there Ian,

Its been a long time!!

Any idea of a tuk tuk price?

and the food is safe?

thanks

Dee

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,006 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kien Svay/Koki Beach

Hello Aussie38

Yes, it has been a long time but I noticed your return to forum.

Not sure of a tuk tuk price one way. Probably about the same as to/from the airport except it is in another direction.

However, unless you have your own HP/Mobile Phone and local SIM Card with which to call your tuk tuk driver to come and collect you how will you get back? It's not the sort of place that tuk tuk drivers are hanging around for fares as groups drive out there these days.

Food safe to eat with the usual caveats and, of course, has your gut flora adjusted to the local situation.

I've never been tempted to eat the small BBQ'd turtles so can't comment on them.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Bairnsdale...
Level Contributor
208 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kien Svay/Koki Beach

Thanks for the info Ian.

I do have a local SIM card so that no issue. Will give tuk tuk some thought, as I have a friend who might like to come with us for the day, and ill just pay a full day fare.

Im pretty careful with food, but do eat street food a fair bit. Pretty sure the turtles aren't on my menu though!

Looking forward to getting back and away from this cold Victoria winter!

Reply to: Kien Svay/Koki Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted