We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silk Island/Koh Dach

Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Silk Island/Koh Dach

Has anyone gone to Silk Island without a tour group? Looking to take the ferry.. just curious if anyone had any advice. Or is it better to arrange a tour through a hotel?

Mango Cambodia
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Memorable Cambodia Cruise
Cultural Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
4 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silk Island/Koh Dach

Hello Cathy C

Yes. I went to Koh Dach on Friday, 14th July 2017 and spent the whole day assisting and equipping the Coconut School there and its 280 students, 70%of whom are girls.

It's very easy to get to Koh Dahk. Just take a tuk tuk for the day. Cost varies between US$25 to US$30 - I paid US$25 as that is all the tuk tuk driver outside of my hotel asked for.

It takes about 30 minutes by road then you join the ferry to cross the Tonle Sap river,for which the tuk tuk driver usually pays, and you wait until the ferry has a reasonable load then across you go. Ditto for the return trip.

Best way is to go with a local who knows the island well so PM - Personal Message - me so if you or other readers would like a contact and contact particulars. But please be quick as I am back in Cambodia a week tonight and do not travel with a laptop computer etc.

I am returning to the Coconut School on this coming trip to follow up on the earlier significant assistance to them as they are in need of some sporting equipment. Just what I will buy for them is yet to be discussed.

Some tuk tukl drivers know the island far better than others but that is more or less a case of luck if you do not know the island.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Mentioned in this post
Koh Dach
Koh Dach
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silk Island/Koh Dach

We cycled there and spent a day with no guide

Spent age at the school playing soccer with the boys whilst my wife talked to the girls

Great village life to get amongst as well

Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silk Island/Koh Dach

Thank you both for your recommendations and comments. We decided to go with the Tuk Tuk option. Looking forward to our visit!

Level Contributor
181 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silk Island/Koh Dach

sorry to hijack but quick question! We are cruising from Vietnam to PP and so will be seeing a lot of country life as we travel along. Is it worth also spending a day on the Silk island or will it be much of the same?

Reply to: Silk Island/Koh Dach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted