We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laos, Cambodia and vietnam

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Laos, Cambodia and vietnam

Looking to do a two week trip to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam but not sure how to set it out so we see a range of sites and get to experience some great cultural actuvities. I’d love to hear some top recommendations for places and how long to spend in each place. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
16 replies to this topic
London, UK
Level Contributor
184 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laos, Cambodia and vietnam

I strongly recommend doing a search for similar questions (in the forum for each of those countries) That will show you recommendations on places to visit, but you'll also see repeated advice that two weeks isn't long enough to see all three countries in any meaningful way.

If you do some research on what there is to see/do in each country and narrow down what your priorities are, people will then be able to give you advice on how best to sequence an itinerary.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
5,174 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laos, Cambodia and vietnam

Forget two weeks for the three countries. Just to see Siem Reap and Phnom Penh in Cambodia will take 7 days. Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng and Vientiane in Laos will also keep you occupied for a week. Hanoi, Sapa is also another week in Vietnam, but i suggest 2 weeks in Vietnam or two weeks in Laos and Cambodia, just enough time to see the places i mentioned

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Vang Vieng
Vang Vieng
Vientiane Province, Laos
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane Prefecture, Laos
Laos
Laos
Asia
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Sapa
Sapa
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,526 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laos, Cambodia and vietnam

I agree 2 weeks is not really long enough for 1 country, just pick one. Vietnam you need a bit longer than the other 2.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laos, Cambodia and vietnam

With two weeks it would be almost daily moving on to next place so most of the time would be sitting in buses or at airports connecting the dots. If you really must visit all three, fly to Luang Prabang for a couple days, then fly to Hanoi plus maybe a Halong Bay tour, fly to HCMC and do a Mekong delta tour, fly to Phnom Penh for a day or two, then fly or bus to Siem Reap for 1-2 days around Angkor. But if you want to relax more just stick with one country or at least one region, say, southern Vietnam + 2 spots in Cambodia, OR northern Laos + Hanoi (or north Thailand).

Mentioned in this post
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Halong Bay
Halong Bay
9,199 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
angkor
angkor
19 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Laos
Laos
Asia
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laos, Cambodia and vietnam

By far, the most common mistake first-timers make is trying to cram in as much as possible, with no consideration about how slow and tedious travel is in SEAsia.

Go to Travelfish.org and do some research to choose the places that are likely to best suit your interests, then develop a realistic itinerary.

As has been said so many times in TA forums, we are not travel agents so not here to plan your itinerary. When you have something more concrete, members will be very happy to comment and make suggestions. Your post is far too vague.

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Laos, Cambodia and vietnam

If you reach Laos, please be careful on their Tuk-Tuk because mostly you will get cheated because I has been there many times. Every time must ask otherwise you will get shock in prices increase. The worst part till go Police Station to clear the issue. For the 3rd trip I no more longer take Tuk-Tuk because their prices really terrible until I switch it to personal private van driver for 2 years (every time I visit Laos) and yesterday 10/06/2018 are the worst till we cannot settle the issue and end up in Police Station (New Driver). Please do ask the prices and their job duration from what time to what time to prevent "stupid situation". Besides, he also cheating me said Elephant Adventure Village Tree House no more longer at Vang Vieng and we back with disappointed mostly my kids. With 2 days we at Vang Vieng, I manage visit 3 place because the driver not willing to go the place you want go and most of the time, he want you follow him.

#Personal Driver

#Laos Private Driver

#Elephant Adventure

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Vang Vieng
Vang Vieng
Vientiane Province, Laos
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laos, Cambodia and vietnam

I don't agree with the suggestion that you can only do one country in two weeks (depending on the country though). Cambodia you can do in like five days to hit the highlights (certainly not the whole country but some main attractions) and you can pair that with Laos. You aren't going to see all of Laos but you could see a decent portion at least. Vietnam would take the two weeks. I did 10 days there and was really pushing it and I still could have used a few more days to hit some things I wanted to see so I think Vietnam def requires two weeks or it requires you to limit yourself to only a specific area of the country.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Laos, Cambodia and vietnam

Thanks GD365 i will try looking there also. Not sure what the comment is about being travel agents?? I didn’t ask for an itinerary, I asked for top places to go, recommendations of where not to miss if possible. Why people feel the need to add a comment like that I just don’t understand. I have 2 small kids at home I can’t leave for months at a time and thought asking for some guidance and recommendations from community minded people was a good place to start.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 09:10
Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Laos, Cambodia and vietnam

Thank you red259 I appreciate your information very much. I can see I won’t be able to do the in depth travel I would love to do, what I was able to do 12 years ago before kids! But I do want to at least get a good taste of 2 of the three countries. Perhaps I can return in a couple of years to explore further.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Laos, Cambodia and vietnam

Hi Anita, here’s a link to a good website for researching the region:

https://www.travelfish.org

I’ve been to (not “done”) three countries in one trip before but that was over three weeks and I wouldn’t want to do it in less time. That was seven nights for Saigon and Mekong Delta, nine for Phnom Penh and Siem Reap and six for Bangkok. It was good for getting a taste of those countries but I wasn’t aiming to “do” them. I’d like to see more of Vietnam and would like to return to Siem Reap as I spent most of my time there chained to the loo. Try not to think of it as your only chance to travel in SEA, if you don’t squeeze in too much your trip will be more rewarding.

Mentioned in this post
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
557 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Bangkok