We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in Laos

Zabbar, null, Malta
Level Contributor
181 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks in Laos

I am starting to plan travel in Laos for 3 weeks in January any suggestion pls? I like nature.

which airport is best to fly to from Europe? Or else can I arrive in one airport and departure from another airport pls so I don't have to travel back.

Any answer are welcome.

thanks alot xx

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Oraison, France
Level Contributor
541 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in Laos

Hi

we travelled to laos from europe many times

from europe the best is to arrive in bangkok and then fly to luang prabang or ventiane

since a few months you can fly with a low cost carrier "air asia" from bangkok DMK to LPB or ventiane and the best of course for you would be to arrive in one airport and leave from the other one and this way visiting Laos

of course you have the choice of many carriers more expensive, it's up to you

enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
524 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in Laos

3 weeks travelling in Laos, you should travel from the north to the south of Laos. Trekking in Luang Prabang and visiting Vang Vieng as well. Check out: https:/…north-or-south

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Vang Vieng
Vang Vieng
Vientiane Province, Laos
Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in Laos

Best choice of international long-haul flights would be Bangkok. Can then fly to Luang Prabang or Vientiane, OR time-permitting fly to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai then bus to the border. This allows you to enter further north and include places like Luang Namtha, Muang Sing, Nong Khiaw, Muang Ngoi, etc. Also maybe do a side trip to Phonsavan. Move south to Vientiane then connect back to Bangkok. Good three-week loop but be selective about destinations / time spent.

Edited: 19 July 2016, 00:16
Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane Prefecture, Laos
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Luang Namtha
Luang Namtha
Luang Namtha Province, Laos
Nong Khiaw
Nong Khiaw
Phonsavan
Phonsavan
Xiangkhouang Province, Laos
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in Laos

I agree with Bangkok as the main hub - I sued it myself a few times.

I would actually second the idea to head nto northern Thailand (maybe fly to Chaing Rai, as Chiuang Mai deserves a full day itself) and get to Hauy Xai border. There you could get either the 2 day slow boat to Luang Prabang (very nice) or head to Luang Namtha for some trekking.

I would def add 4 or 5 days for LP alone - it is just such a great place to visit. My favourite town in SEA.

If you like nature I would suggest heading north to Nong khiaw and Muang Ngoi. Both have a nice vibe, some stunning scenery and available treks. Especially Muang Ngoi is a very appealing place due to the laidback feel. I spend 5 nights in these two places alone.

You could then head south to Vang Vieng (again beautiful area) and Vientiane. That would eaasily cover 3 weeks. I would not attempt visitng the south as the itiernary ends up too rushed.

With CM and Luang Namtha (excluding the boat trip) that was actually my first ever trip to Laos.

Hope this helps a bit

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Namtha
Luang Namtha
Luang Namtha Province, Laos
Nong Khiaw
Nong Khiaw
Vang Vieng
Vang Vieng
Vientiane Province, Laos
Vientiane
Vientiane
Laos
Laos
Asia
Witchcliffe...
Level Contributor
126 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks in Laos

This may be a silly question .... Is it possible to do the reverse trip and leave Laos via Hauy Xai? So do LP, NK, MN then head off to Chiang Rai on to BK

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks in Laos

I have a different take on this entirely. I would fly to Bangkok and then to Luang Prabang. Avoid Chiang Mai. While it is interesting, it is nowhere near as beautiful as Luang Prabang. 3-4 days is certainly enough for Luang Prabang, 5 is too much and boring. Take a side trip to the Plain of Jars. I would make my way south to Vang Vieng and Vientiane. I would make my way Sth to Thakek and the Konglor cave then to Savannakhet, Pakse, Wat Phu and the 1000 islands. In my opinion this is a much more interesting itinerary than those suggested above.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Plain of Jars
Plain of Jars
539 Reviews
Phonsavan, Laos
Vang Vieng
Vang Vieng
Vientiane Province, Laos
Vientiane
Vientiane
Savannakhet
Savannakhet
Savannakhet Province, Laos
Pakse
Pakse
Champasak Province, Laos
Wat Phu
Wat Phu
677 Reviews
Champasak Town, Laos
Oraison, France
Level Contributor
541 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks in Laos

hi

to anemali ...of course the reverse trip is possible but it will be very long by bus or minivan to udomxai/ luang namtha/ and huay xai or LPB/ pakbeng huay xai 2 days with the slow boat

unless you have something special to do or see in chiang rai I would not advise this reverse trip because of the waste of time (and cost) and would take a flight LPB to BKK much cheaper and faster

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 weeks in Laos

It is always nice to see different views and interests here. Everyone has a different taste and getting different views might help to ake a decision. While some find LP after a few days boring, I had no issue whatsoever spending 8 days there during my second visit. All about personal preference

Whatever your itinerary you choose, consider how much travelling is involved. You do not want to spend most time on a bus or at the airport.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 weeks in Laos

Anemili, no problem whatsoever to make the reverse trip. The bus between NK and Huay Xai will take around 10 or 11 hours, so it is a long journey. You could split the trip by stopping in LN.

From Huay Xai you can cross the border, take a Tuk Tuk to the crossing where a bus leaves for Chiang Rai every 30 minutes. Though you might need to spend a night in Huay Xai if you come straight from LN as the bus is not running that late i think.

But I would only do it that way if you want to spend a couple of days in Chiang Rai. Tbh, the White Temple itself is worth the detour. Otherwise do as Globetroter suggested and return from Nonh Khiaw to LP and fly back to Bangkok

Mentioned in this post
Huay Xai
Huay Xai
Bokeo Province, Laos
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Wat Rong Khun
Wat Rong Khun
6,575 Reviews
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 weeks in Laos

I am curious as to what you did there for 8 days Scotsman.