We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food hygien

California
7 posts
1 review
Food hygien

Hi. All

We are planNing on trip to 2/27/2017 for 5 days in Vientiane . I wonder any tips for food hygiene, what to watch for pick pocket ? Is it safe to use cell phone which is risk to be robbed?

Any scam for tuk tuk driver in term of price bargaining ?

Thx so Much

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
341 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Food hygien

5 days in vientiane is a long time, 2 would be enough. As far as hygiene goes, make sure your food is freshly prepared, and not sitting in the sun for hours.

Keep your wits about you, leave your wallet and cards in your room safe, carry only what ou can afford to lose, and don't leave your phone laying around.

I travel Asia frequently and have never had a problem. Keep your cash in a zipped pocket.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,533 posts
95 reviews
2. Re: Food hygien

Vientiane is safer than California. Observe the usual care that you do in any city. I dont eat food left in bain maries.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Food hygien

Great advise from Kuduman. I always have a little wallet with my daily spending money - the rest is left in my room. If that one is stolen it is not a big loose. if your cards get stolen it will cause much more work.

Often theft are based on opportunities - like phones laying around. One issue in SEA however are people on motorbikes who snatches phones and bags from people walking along the street. So if you have a shoulder bag or handbag, do nor carry it losely over your shoulder towards the road, but across the body. It never happened to me, but heard enough stories from friends and reports from other travellers, But overall, I found SEA pretty safe, and felt never threatend or unsafe.

Regarding the street food, I never had any problems with it in SEA - most of the time it is freshly prepared. And it is delicious and not expensive. In other words - it has all you need ;)

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
278 reviews
4. Re: Food hygien

Vientiane is very safe compared to most other SE Asia capitals. Bag snatching later at night is becoming more common so scotsmans advice is good. You can also buy shoulder bags with steel wire in the shoulder strap to stop them getting cut if you want the extra margin of safety.

Food hygiene is better than it often looks - people tend too break all the recent western guidelines on food safety, like cutting raw & cooked chicken on the same board - but I have never been sick once in a dozen years of eating all over Laos. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

And use meter taxis in Vientiane - there are many of them now and they cost about the same as a tuktuk without all the hassle.

5. Re: Food hygien

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2018, 13:16