We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for interesting but NONtouristic city in Malaysia

Rotterdam, The...
10 posts
Save Topic
Looking for interesting but NONtouristic city in Malaysia

Hi everybody!

I'm going to Malaysia in one month and actually want to visit a city that is interesting when it comes to culture and food but hasn't got many tourists. I've heard about Melakka and Georgetown, but it looks a bit like it's crowded with tourists and I would like to find something more authentic. Someone has an idea? Thanks in advance!

Edited: 11 June 2018, 23:59
Mentioned in this post
6 replies to this topic
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,311 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for interesting but NONtouristic city in Malaysia

What is your definition of authentic? Melaka and George Town are the two UNESCO World Heritage cities in Malaysia, and not without reason. They both have architecture, heritage, charm and food aplent. Tourists? Of course. Will you recognise them as tourists? Probably not. The vast majority of tourists to Malaysia are from Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, China, Japan and Korea.

You could consider a few other places such as Ipoh, Kuala Terengganu, Kota Bharu on peninsular Malaysia or Kuching in Sarawak and Kota Kinabalu in Sabah.

Mentioned in this post
Melaka
Melaka
Central Melaka District, Malaysia
George Town
George Town
Penang Island, Malaysia
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Ipoh
Ipoh
Kinta District, Malaysia
Kuala Terengganu
Kuala Terengganu
Terengganu, Malaysia
Kota Bharu
Kota Bharu
Kelantan, Malaysia
Kuching
Kuching
Sarawak, Malaysia
Sarawak
Sarawak
Malaysia
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu District, Malaysia
Sabah
Sabah
Malaysia
London
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for interesting but NONtouristic city in Malaysia

Georgetown is jam packed with tourists. I used to like it a lot and it is still one of the better places in Malaysia for food but when I visited last year I felt it had become a little run down compared with even a couple of years previously. There is however, a great deal to see but you will have to wade through the crowds to see it. Melaka sees less tourists but also has a lot less to see.

Ipoh is a 4 hour train ride from KL , has some great food and some interesting sights like Perak Tong cave temples a short bus ride away. it is also famed for its graffiti trail.

in Borneo Kuching is an interesting city with a lot going on in terms of culture and wildlife in teh immediate vicinity

if you really want to see something less touristy and an alternative to the mainstream take a look at Bario in teh Kelabit highlands, quite difficult to get to but well worth the effort.

Mentioned in this post
Melaka
Melaka
Central Melaka District, Malaysia
Ipoh
Ipoh
Kinta District, Malaysia
Perak
Perak
Malaysia
Kuching
Kuching
Sarawak, Malaysia
Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for interesting but NONtouristic city in Malaysia

Have a look at Kuching - it ticks your boxes.

Mentioned in this post
Kuching
Kuching
Sarawak, Malaysia
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for interesting but NONtouristic city in Malaysia

Try kota bharu ... very few tourists and if you do your research some very interesting places.

For example the original Japanese landing beach ( they landed in Malaysia about 12 hours before the bombing of Pearl Harbour)

The wooden palaces

Great local food ... completely different to southern Malaysia.

Check out the road side barbecue stalls on the outskirts of town.

For a beer there's a small China town

Mentioned in this post
Hotel China Town Inn
Hotel China Town Inn
407 Reviews
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for interesting but NONtouristic city in Malaysia

Visit Kuching, my Penang born and bred husband and I like it very much there. Even though we consider Penang to be home we sometimes tire of it and like visiting other places. Currently we are having a long stint in Sydney but we do miss the wonderful food choices available in Penang.

Mentioned in this post
Kuching
Kuching
Sarawak, Malaysia
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Rotterdam, The...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for interesting but NONtouristic city in Malaysia

Dear people, thank you all so much for your replies!!!This is so helpful. I have looked into the cities Kuala Terengganu, Kota Bharu and Kuching that you suggested and they are now on my list.

I've been also looking for islands for snorkelling and quiet beaches which are not too crowded. I looked into Redang and Kapas but the prices are absurd, to my opinion at least. Also I've read about Tioman that it is not such a nice island and crowded as well, does anyone know what's the deal here?

Mentioned in this post
Kuala Terengganu
Kuala Terengganu
Terengganu, Malaysia
Kota Bharu
Kota Bharu
Kelantan, Malaysia
Kuching
Kuching
Sarawak, Malaysia
Redang Beach Resort
Redang Beach Resort