We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can i extend my visa?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
10 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Can i extend my visa?

Hello!

I plan to make a 2,5 month visit to Malaysia for purpose of leisure, taking up a part-time culinary course with a private institution (who can't help to get a student visa), do some friends visits.

Being Kazakhstan Republic citizen i am eligible for 1month visit without a visa. My local Malaysian Embassy explained me this is all what i can get at the moment...

My questions are:

1) Is the there a way to extend the 1month permit once i am in KL?

What are the ways to do this? For how long can i extend it maximum?

2) Do i have to have the return air ticket while entering Malaysia for the 1st month? What if i actually would like to leave country overland to Thailand for instance? Are train tickets playing same role in case of overland further travel?

3) In case if i can not extend my 1month pass, can i leave for few days to Thailand or Singapore overland and come back again? Will i have to show again the return air or train tickets on re-enter?

If someone has been in similiar situation, please advise! I will be grateful to hear any comments!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,552 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can i extend my visa?

Hi

The best way to extend you visa is to leave Malaysia every month for a trip somewhere (like Thailand or Singapore) and then you will get a new visia on your return.

Its what most Expats do!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can i extend my visa?

TravellingMitch's right. Just fly out of the country for a couple of days and come back in .... technically immigration should have no problems in granting another 1 month. You *might* have to show a return/onward ticket .... so why don't you book "KTM/KUL/KTM". You *might* also have to show your course's program to prove you're here on a legit basis and that you're not here to work illegally.

Not trying to play the "ethnic" card (just giving a realistic and factual statement) .... if you're caucasian, you won't get harrassed by the authorities but if you're "dark skinned" then you *may* have some problems.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,623 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can i extend my visa?

The above information is useful, but each case is different.

Malaysian Imigration have now become more proactive and can refuse re-admission is you go to (for example) Thailand for a couple of days.

1) you can extend your visa, but you will not get more than 10 days - and most likely it would be 4 days.

2) Given your country of origin, a return ticket would be very useful in convincing imigration that you do not intend to overstay. You can tel them you plan to travel around Malaysia, Thailand & Singapore..

3) As said above, you can do this and a return ticket would help. Also, having credit cards and / or cash - enough for your full trip - will help. You may need to proove that you do not need to work.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
10 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can i extend my visa?

Thank you guys for your valuable suggestions!

I see that there is clearly no hope for a direct visa extension.

And this "might show"/"might not" thing with air tickets is what confuses me most, so i guess the best option for me at the moment would be to buy the return tickets with a chance of shifting the dates. And i ll just see how it goes there during a month first or else, i ll ll try to visit Singapore and come back again...

5. Re: Can i extend my visa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2012, 18:24