We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World Ocean Day

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
World Ocean Day

Today is World Ocean Day and here on Outrigger Konotta the staff and guests are having a clean up of the reef. It’s simply incredible what and how much trash has been collected in an hour and a worrying reminder of how we are polluting the marine environment and how even a small effort to pick up waste can help.

Mentioned in this post
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort
Outrigger Konotta...
226 Reviews
South Huvadhoo (Gaafu Dhaalu) Atoll
7 replies to this topic
Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: World Ocean Day

We also need to consider our plastic useage at source, stop and consider where; straws, single use bags, cling film all end up.

If each one of us makes some effort To to reduce our dependence on plastics we can make a change.

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World Ocean Day

We joined a reef clean up at Anantara Kihavah once and like you,. were amazed to learn how much stuff gets caught up in the reef. It is good to see that Maldives resorts (the ones we have been to anyway) in the last few years have got rid of plastic straws and bottles.

Here in our office in the UK we are not allowed to bring any plastic items and were all given our own drinks bottles last year and there are no plastic cups allowed.

Mentioned in this post
Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas
Anantara Kihavah...
1,288 Reviews
Kihavah Huravalhi
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: World Ocean Day

So true.

We've taken the small steps of not purchasing plastic straws at our place. We've also purchased reusable produce bags to limit our plastic use each week at the greengrocers.

It does not make a huge difference, but I also buy solid 'packageless' cleaner and soap from Lush (which is not hardship, they are nice products) and am actively trying to reduce my plastic use in other areas.

Anyone who buys plastic water bottles regularly is very naughty in my view, I'd like Australia to stop selling them personally. I know some of our supermarkets have now stopped selling straws which is a great start!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
497 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: World Ocean Day

So very true! Its everyone's responsibility and every little bit, however small, helps.

We always refuse plastic bags, choose cotton buds with cardboard sticks, have reusable metal water bottles etc. and I've been know to hand back plastic straws in bars and pubs and explain to them why they should change to paper ones.

When we were away recently in April we returned from almost every snorkelling trip with something retrieved from the reef or shallows. Mostly it was small things but one day my husband pulled out a large piece of net.

London, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: World Ocean Day

That’s a great thing to do. We picked up several bits of trash at konotta, a few times it was there small plastic shampoo/shower gel/conditioner bottles. I wonder if they’ll change away from those. I liked the refillable pot bottles at mirihi for example.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: World Ocean Day

We do Plastic Free July each year. I am obsessed about avoiding single use plastic bit its amazing how much is used.

Each year I find a new plastic free option to add to my repitoire - last year it was paper bags for dog pick ups. I always use them now. I think I am one of the few in the park who does. There are so many plastic bags in each bin.

Also I take my own bottle to the super market to get it filled with their freshly squeezed juice.

My main issue is the bins I cannot get my boys to accept paper or nothing even though I clean the bin out.

Every time we go snorkelling unfortunately we pick up plastic.

It has really become a question or reuse and refuse as recycle is not much of an option here unfortunately .

Sorry this is one of my band wagons.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 12:48
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: World Ocean Day

We do have quite a rigid recycling programme at home; our local councils are penalised if they don’t meet quite tough targets and pass this on to householders via council tax increases, so it’s in everyone’s best interests to avoid waste and recycle as much as possible. Although it’s just the two of us it’s still shocking/surprising to see how much plastic we put out for recycling each week. We also recycle paper, cardboard and glass along with food waste but the volume of plastic is much greater and harder to avoid.

Reply to: World Ocean Day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted