We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaplane transfers

Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Seaplane transfers

Hi,

We are due to go to the Hurawalhi resort in July & I m worried about the seaplane journey. Does it feel safe?

Also, I m on the larger size, are seats standard size as per normal plane? Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Hurawalhi
Hurawalhi
Lhaviyani Atoll
AYADA Maldives
AYADA Maldives
#1 of 1 hotels in Maguhdhuvaa
Milaidhoo Island Maldives
Milaidhoo Island Maldives
#1 of 17 hotels in Baa Atoll
Baros Maldives
Baros Maldives
#1 of 1 hotels in Baros Island
8 replies to this topic
london
Level Contributor
330 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaplane transfers

Hi there is nothing to worry about in terms of safety it seems much safer than a big jumbo probably because they fly low and have floats on the plane. I don’t think there are any reported deaths in the seaplanes.

The seats are tiny so it will be uncomfortable but to counter this it is a great experience with fantastic views and will be a very short flight.

It is noisy and cramped but I will be surprised if you don’t enjoy the overall experience.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaplane transfers

Hi KittyKat, my husband is a large gentleman; he weighs around 150kg and although the seaplane is tight for space and the seats smaller than in a regular aircraft, he’a had no problems at all.

It is extremely noisy and warm in board so I’d strongly recommend changing into lighter “island attire” before boarding.

I too agree that the seaplanes are safe; the crew will do a safety briefing but hundreds of travellers use them each day and sure you’ll have a perfectly safe and pleasant trip.

Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaplane transfers

I also recommend light clothing as well as earplugs as it is noisy. I take my own earplugs but the crew sometimes hand them out or you can ask for them. I also take a fan as it hot especially when on the ground and there may be one or two stops on the way.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaplane transfers

IME it does feel safe (Even though I once had a hair raising experience on a plane and am still a little anxious in general). One of my teens has ASD and noisy, crowded situations like the seaplane trigger anxiety but ear plugs are really helpful - I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaplane transfers

Thank you guys.

That’s very useful so really appreciate your replies.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
304 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaplane transfers

The seaplane was my biggest worry being a 'larger lady' as it is very small! It is configured as a two seater seat which is fine if you sit by the window and squash up especially if you have a thin husband....thankfully I do 😀 then a single seat on the other side. This is easier to sit on (unless they tell you to move to redistribute weight!!😲 that is a bit embarrassing

But the staff are lovely and really nobody but you is taking any notice as there are some large blokes too!

Done it many times now and it is fine it is safe even when we flew in very inclement weather

And most importantly the seat belts are very long which depending on your shape can be an issue (longer than the airline ones )

Have a fantastic holiday 🌞

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,320 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seaplane transfers

Kitty

We are nervous flyers and listen to every noise on the plane with dread lol. However we absolutely love the sea plane its amazing. Does it feel safe ? I feel very safe 😎

You probably wont be on a TMA plane because Hurawalhi, kuredu and Komandoo has its own plane.....

Mentioned in this post
Hurawalhi
Hurawalhi
Lhaviyani Atoll
Komandoo Maldives Island Resort
Komandoo Maldives Island...
2,242 Reviews
Komandoo
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seaplane transfers

Thank you very much for your replies, very useful.

Reply to: Seaplane transfers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;