We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights from North America

BPT
Atlanta
Level Contributor
430 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
flights from North America

I live on the east coast of the US. Can someone from North America tell me which direction you flew to get to MLE? How did you get there? Did you have to overnight in one or both directions? I'd like to do continuous flights until we arrive and not have to spend a night anywhere.

Mentioned in this post
7 replies to this topic
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights from North America

From NYC your best bet is flying through AUH or DOH depending on which airline you want to take. As far as I know there are no direct flights from NYC directly through to MLE. You could fly through Singapore, but you are adding the 5 hour flight and layover in SFO to do so.

Generally you leave NYC in the evening and land in the MIddle East around 11pm, then take a flight around 2a to Male.

You lose 2 days on the way there... so if you leave on a Wednesday, you arrive on a Friday. Back home the opposite is true... you leave and land on the same day.

Try putting info into Google Flights to see what options there are and then go from there to the specific airline website.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flights from North America

My brother in law from Boston found the best flights both timing and a good price through Emirates. I also not recently someone from Canada flew to Paris then got the direct flight to Male with air france.

Mentioned in this post
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: flights from North America

As others have said, there aren't any direct flights to the Maldives from the US, so you're going to have to transit somewhere.

Flying out of ATL you could choose flights with Qatar Airways (one stop in Doha). Emirates, Air France, and Etihad all seem to go via JFK and Turkish Airlines seem to go via Toronto, so that would be two stops.

You'd have to check flight connections to know whether you're overnighting somewhere en-route. Sky scanner is a good place to start researching as you can play around with dates, pricing, number of stopovers etc until you get a combination you like.

If you meant you didn't want to overnight in Male when you arrive,then it's worth booking a resort that's either a speedboat or domestic flight transfer from Male as these operate in the evenings too. Or try to get flights that land in the morning, but that's trickier with connection timings.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights from North America

DXB is a handy place to fly into - you will be able to get direct flights from NYC and depending on timing either overnight (or spend a couple of days) in Dubai to acclimatize, or fly direct from Dubai to Male with Emirates or flyDubai (depending on time of year). DXB is a well-equipped airport for an extended layover. Alternatively Turkish, Qatar and Etihad fly direct to MLE from their respective hubs.

On my most recent trip we actually flew YYZ - DXB and then to MLE via Colombo with SriLankan so that we could arrive early am and spend as much time at our resort. Hope this is helpful!

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Sherwood Forest
Level Contributor
242 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flights from North America

Hi BPT

Just did a dummy booking with Emirates JFK to Male via Dubai.

Depart Mon JFK 22.20, Emirates EK206 (A380) arrive Tue DBX 22.10 all hours local time, Flight time 15hrs 50 mins.

4hrs 40mins in DBX stopover between flights. Dubai airport is a great place to spend a couple of hour, its like a small city with loads of places to eat & rest, shops, Duty Free (remember you can't take alcohol or pork products into the Maldives as its illegal)

Depart Wed DBX 2.30 Emirates EK656 (B777) arrive MLE Wed 7.40 all hours local time, Flight time 4hrs 10mins

Total travel time inc stopover 24hrs 40mins

When we go to the Maldives from the UK we get this Dubai to Male flight, this gets you into Male’ International Airport (MLE) now known as Velana International Airport early in the morning.

Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: flights from North America

My daughter and I were in the Club Med Kani in April and we flew from Toronto to Paris and originally had a 10-hour layover and continued Air France to male direct a 10-hour flight. Because of an Air France strike we ended up having to leave one day early. This was a blessing in disguise as it really spread out the travel time and helped with the jet lag. We arrived in the Maldives the morning and were immediately accustom to the time zone. We also arrived at 9:30 in the morning and had a complete full day on day 1 of holiday. On our departure at 8 p.m. at the end of day 7 gave us 8 full days.

Returning home was a very long flight. We left Male and arrived in Abu Dhabi via ethiad. Then Abu Dhabi at 2 a.m. to Amsterdam at 7 a.m., time zones considered. We had two hours in Amsterdam before flying directly home to Toronto arriving before noon the next day. In actual time it was about 29 hours but we left on a Thursday night and arrived the next morning in Toronto.

I'm dictating this on phone so sorry for any spelling

Mentioned in this post
Club Med Kani
Club Med Kani
4,783 Reviews
Kanifinolhu Island
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: flights from North America

My daughter and I were in the Club Med Kani in April and we flew from Toronto to Paris and originally had a 10-hour layover and continued Air France to male direct a 10-hour flight. Because of an Air France strike we ended up having to leave one day early. This was a blessing in disguise as it really spread out the travel time and helped with the jet lag. We arrived in the Maldives the morning and were immediately accustom to the time zone. We also arrived at 9:30 in the morning and had a complete full day on day 1 of holiday. On our departure at 8 p.m. at the end of day 7 gave us 8 full days.

Returning home was a very long flight. We left Male and arrived in Abu Dhabi via ethiad. Then Abu Dhabi at 2 a.m. to Amsterdam at 7 a.m., time zones considered. We had two hours in Amsterdam before flying directly home to Toronto arriving before noon the next day. In actual time it was about 29 hours but we left on a Thursday night and arrived the next morning in Toronto.

I'm dictating this on phone so sorry for any spelling

Mentioned in this post
Club Med Kani
Club Med Kani
4,783 Reviews
Kanifinolhu Island
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reply to: flights from North America
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted