We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Veligandu or diamonds arhuruga

Caerphilly, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Veligandu or diamonds arhuruga

Hello I cannot decide which is the best. I am thinking of going in February and want to split between water villa and beach bungalow,

Diamonds seem to have the better water villa and veligandu beach villas look better.

Also which is the best all inclusive

3 replies to this topic
london
Level Contributor
527 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Veligandu or diamonds arhuruga

Hi the issue I had with the beach villa at veligandu is the whole island apart from the sand spirit is pretty much surrounded by water villas so it kind of ruins the views and you don’t get the desert island feel.

The beach villa was very nice and private with good facilities but I think that the water villas are the best option at veligandu because of the views. I believe the price is the same for beach and water villas. The AI package was terrible only 1 cocktail choice per day buffer only and many drinks fresh fruit juice and real coffee not included

Personally I didn’t like veligandu but many people do

It was about 6 yrs ago when I was there.my overal impresion was it was all style over substance

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
314 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Veligandu or diamonds arhuruga

I have been to both Athuruga WV are lovely with spacious interior and lovely big deck with large seating area and dining area outside where you can eat breakfast outside delivered to your room at no extra cost. Mini bar included wit wine and separate WV restaurant which was waiter service. My only slight fault was if you want to sit in the sun on decking the space was quite small

The BV were underwhelming after the WV but pretty standard and I believe some have been refurbished as they were dark wood when we were there which was quite a comparison to the white WV

Food was buffet at main restaurant and was lovely as was excellent AI cocktails and drinks package...this was in 2015

Went to Veligandu last October and we loved it

In contrast with the previous poster we had a JBV and these do not have WV in front of them so the view is uninterrupted in front of these.

Food is buffet but I would say it is the best we have had in the Maldives and cocktail list on AI was extensive including all the usuals. Mini bar also includes wine beer etc on AI

Island had a relaxed feel staff great. Bar at either end of the island and we loved the quiet bar in an evening

Not sure where the 'style over substance' comes into it as it was imo a traditional style Maldivian island with little glitz or glamour just did the things you expect very well

Athuruga in a WV is quite a lot more ££ Veligandu JBV and WV are same price

Caerphilly, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Veligandu or diamonds arhuruga

Thank you for the comments.

I think you have answered what I was thinking in that Veligandu seems the better.

Would you recommend a split in beach villa/ water villa?

Also, would you recommend a part of the island to stay as we want to have the sun most if the day so would want sunset facing accommodation?

Edited: 18 June 2018, 13:37
Reply to: Veligandu or diamonds arhuruga
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted