We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beaches In October

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beaches In October

Hi. I'm going to be in Sri Lanka for 5 days in October an am trying to get a handle on which beach would be the best to visit this time of year. I know that October is not the best time of year for Sri Lanka and that I cannot avoid the rain completely, but would love to minimize it as much as possible.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, since my time is limited, is it worth doing an overnight trip to Kandy. I am thinking about taking the train the morning after I arrive, staying the night, and then heading back to the beaches via Colombo. Is it worth the trip?

Thanks!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,042 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beaches In October

Hi Craig,

1) By a wide margin: east coast, Nilaveli (Trinco) or Arugam Bay. Both quite far from the airport.

2) The deep south, so Unuwatuna and east of it (e.g. Tangalle or Mirissa)

Southwest, between Negombo and Galle, has most risk of unsettled intermonsoon weather.

Kandy is about the cultural centre of the country, but if you only have 5 nights it might simply take too much time away from the beach.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beaches In October

thanks eric. i am leaning towards skipping kandy and heading straight down to anawatuna or mirissa and maybe an overnight trip to yala national park. i have read the posts comparing anawatuna and marissa and it seams like everyone agrees that marissa is more laid back. since i will be alone on this leg of my trip i want to make sure that there are at least a few people to talk to and have a beer with. that being the case do you think i should stick with unawatuna (how dead will marissa be that time of year)?

thanks again for the advice and please feel free to send me any other recomdations you might have for my visit.

-- craig

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beaches In October

Hi Craig

Unawatuna is going to have far more people to talk to than at Mirissa. You might also like to consider passing through Hikkaduwa on the west coast for a night to see what you think of it, as this too is likely to have a bit more life, especially towards the south at the Narigama end. It also has a reef sheltered beach closer to Hikkaduwa town where swimming conditions are going to be as calm as anywhere on the south or west coasts at that time of year.

I should also mention that Yala might well be closed when you're there, depending on what dates in October you're visiting, as it usually has a closed period throughout September and for the first fortnight of October. It didn't last year, but as far as I know, it will do this year. You could always consider Udawalawe N.P. instead if it's elephants you want to see.

Sue

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beaches In October

skip mirissa as it will be too quiet , i would head to hikkaduwa. go to the roti stop for cheap roti,s and probably some people hanging out. if you like it stick around if not unawatuna isn,t far away.

another option is to skip the beach and head straight to kandy and the surrounding area to really see the best of sri lanka if you are into history, nature , culture, tea plantations etc,

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beaches In October

Much as I love Mirissa it will be too quiet so I would really suggest Hikkaduwa - the beach at Unawatuna is limited at the best of times and even thinner at that time while Mirissa (Narigama) is wide and has a lot more options and people while still not being busy.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beaches In October

Thanks for all your advice. I think that I am going to just prebook my train ticket to Kandy and decide what to do next once I arrive based on the weather etc...

Does anyone have experience with Reddot Tours or have a better suggestion for prebooking my train ticket?

Also, since it is the low season, do I have to worry about hotel availability, or can I just show up and find a room?

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beaches In October

Hi Craig

Red Dot Tours are fine. They are a good bet for booking your train ticket in advance for you and also for hotel bookings. Hotels are best booked ahead through a good tour company such as this, as the bigger hotels often charge far more when you contact them direct or walk in at the time. If, however, you are looking to stay in guesthouses rather than hotels, it is likely to be a lot cheaper for you to arrange yourself at the time, rather than through someone like Red Dot.

Yes, October is low season so visitors will be down in numbers, but it also means that some coastal places close completely during that time. There will still be places open and it just means a phone call to check availability perhaps.

All the best,

Sue

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Beaches In October

Oops, meant Narigama Hikkaduwa not Mirissa. Will have absolutely no trouble getting accommodation to suit your budget - I stay in guesthouses and never book in advance and even in high season have never had a problem. The only trouble with 5 days is that if you want to go to both the cultural triangle and the beach you could be a bit pushed. Though I use public transport it is slow and for the cultural triangle especially it pays to have a car to get there and away quickly. If you just want the beach (as I normally do just head down to Hikkaduwa by train and take your pick of places.

9. Re: Best Beaches In October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 13:16