We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Engagement in Sri Lanka, advice needed

Derry, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Engagement in Sri Lanka, advice needed

Hi everyone,

I'm travelling to Sri Lanka in January with my girlfriend for two weeks. During this time I'm planning on proposing. Everything is still quite up in the air at present which makes me a little nervous, so I'm hoping a little knowledge from the community can help alleviate a portion of my anxiety! I have already planned the majority of the trip and booked hotels etc. We will be travelling Colombo, Kandy, Kitulgala, Rathnapura, Yala, Tangalle, Galle, Colombo, with a few days at each place.

Firstly, I'm having real trouble settling on a time and place for the big moment. Whilst I appreciate this is ultimately down to personal preference, I'm hoping some of your experiences might throw up some ideas. My main concern is that the moment isn't in any way cheesy and that it is basically private or in some way unique (so for example standing at the top of Siguria with 100 other tourists is a no). Maybe some of you have come across some places on your travels which are beautiful and a bit more private? I had thought that a nice secluded beach near Tangalle (where we have already booked to stay in a nice cabana right on the beach) might be ideal. It will be generally quiet and I wanted to set up a spot with some candles, flowers, food, champagne and watch the sunset. In order to do this I would need a bit of help locally to source the materials and set the scene up. Does anyone have any ideas who could help with that sort of thing? I've asked the people who rent out the cabana but they've been ignoring my emails unfortunately.

My second major concern is the ring. My girlfriend is particular and will want to design and choose her own ring, but I do know she loves a sapphire and part of the reason for going to Sri Lanka is to source an incredible sapphire for the ring (and if I'm lucky have it made there and then). I'm aware if the various pitfalls with gems and the potential to be scammed, so as a safeguard I would like an expert to accompany me. I will also make use of the local Gem Authority. Does anybody know of a good reliable local expert that could assist with this?

At present, I've independently booked all activities and accommodation for this holiday. With no travel yet booked (planning on using ad hoc taxis and drivers) I'm increasingly wondering whether having a local guide or driver for the two weeks might be the best solution to all of the above. Any thoughts? Could anyone provide any ideas of the likely costs of a guide/driver for the two weeks, assuming I'd have to pay for their lodging and food also?

Thanks for reading my post. I would be do appreciative of any advice or support the community could provide.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Engagement in Sri Lanka, advice needed

Dave :) you make me blush!!!!

12. Re: Engagement in Sri Lanka, advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 13:18