We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does TripAdvisor protects hotel owners from false review

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
How does TripAdvisor protects hotel owners from false review

This topic is so frustrating!

Yesterday our hotel got a 1-star review from a potential guest, lying about price information given on the phone and threatening us. Because this 'misunderstanding' issue happens often over the phon - our policy is to confirm pricing via email. They now claim that we gave them different pricing and gave us the 1-star. I immediately flagged the review and wrote to the help center explaining the issue. Here is my request in Turkish:

Söz konusu kişi veya kişiler otelimize gelmemiş, check-in yapmamış veya konaklama yapmamışlardır. Dolayısıyla hizmetimizi satın almadan yazılanlara YORUM değil, sadece İFTİRA denilebilir.

İlgili kişilerin söyledikleri ne olursa osun, işletmemiz, rezervasyonun konfirmasyonu için, "Söz uçar, yazı kalır" prensibine uygun olarak mail ile rezervasyon yapmaktadır.

Yazılanlar ile bağlıyız ve elbette ilgili kişilerin, henüz rezervasyon aşamasında, işletmemiz tarafından yanıltılmış olduklarını veya zarara uğradıklarını iddia etmeleri durumunda, yapmaları gereken, iftira etmek değil, ellerindeki deliller ile tüketici mahkemesine gitmek olmalıdır.

Dünyaca tanınan TripAdvisor sitesine sadece gerçek deneyimlerin sonucu yorumlar yazılması beklenir.

Doğal olarak, sizler tarafından da hizmetin satın alınıp alınmadığının tam olarak anlaşılması da beklenir.

Yorumların içeriklerine dikkat edilerek, onaylanmadan önce gerektiği kadar incelenmesi konusunda özen göstermenizi bekliyoruz.

Bu nedenlerle, tesisimize gelmeden, hizmet satın almadan, rezervasyon dahi yapmadan yapılan "yorum"un derhal kaldırılmasını talep ediyoruz.

Then I got a response from the Turkish TA team informing me that the review does not brake any of TA's review rules. Well that's truly interesting.

How do we prove ourselves, how do we protect ourselves from this type of bad-intentioned reviews. This guest did not have a reservation withus. Never has been in our hotel. There was no quarell over the phone, everything was handled professionally on a good-will basis. However, the guest-to-be's wife decided that we misinformed them, and although we never talked to her, she wrote a review. How can be this prevented. Why does TA not protect its clients in such cases?

3 replies to this topic
Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does TripAdvisor protects hotel owners from false review

As you no doubt already know, in Turkey, as in other countries, TA's role is limited by local laws which here reflect (to a certain degree, not including very recent developments) the body of EU laws and regulations covering the responsibility of sites such as these.

The recourse hotel and restaurants owners etc in other countries have had is through the courts. I suppose you could get your lawyer to inform TA that you intend to sue the poster for defamation and potential monetary loss and TA for disseminating this information, take the case to the courts and then seek to have it enforced abroad (if applicable).

However, I think it would be better that you posted a lengthy polite rebuttal rather than taking the first route. I doubt anyone believes TA reviews are all gospel truth.

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does TripAdvisor protects hotel owners from false review

Thanks for your reply...and I agree with you, there is so much bad information allowed on the Turkish TA. This issue upset me very much. We are a small hotel and reviews like this one affect us badly. And yes I could have written more politely, but the fact that TA lets a bad review appear on the site within the hour shows me that they are not checking anything. So people can write whatever they want - even if they get no service from us.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does TripAdvisor protects hotel owners from false review

As a regular reader of reviews I always read the replies from hotels or restaurants, and it is often very clear that the review is either exaggerated or is in fact a pack of lies.

So as the first reply says, write a reply and state that these people have never stayed there and are giving false information. If you keep it polite and professional I believe any reader of the review will see it for what it is.

Good luck.

Reply to: How does TripAdvisor protects hotel owners from false review
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted