We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food delivery

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
847 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Food delivery

Our plane will arrive IST from Kayseri IST at 20:00 the first Saturday in October. We will be staying in an airbnb in Tabur İmamı Sk, Çatma Mescit Mahallesi, 34430 Beyoğlu. This is about 150 meters on the other side of Refik Caydam Cd. from the Pera Palace.

It will have been a long day and I was wondering if we could get food delivered.

I saw pictures of the front of Halil Usta Kebap, Pide, Lamacun Restaurant that showed two motorcycles with food delivery boxes on the back. This restaurant is about 200 meters south of Taxim and according to Googlemaps, a 2 km drive away. They have an online menu in English.

Do you think it would be likely that they would deliver some food to our apartment? Or do you have any other suggestions for delivery? Is this a reasonably common service.

My Turkish is limited but reasonably functional "tourist Turkish."

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Ataturk Airport
Ataturk Airport
Istanbul, Turkey
Kayseri
Kayseri
Kayseri Province, Turkey
Pera Palace Hotel
Pera Palace Hotel
1,257 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Taxim Suites
Taxim Suites
122 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
11 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
847 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food delivery

Looking more at their website, the menu is in Turkish but that is not a problem. My Turkish is just good enough that I forgot it was in Turkish! :)

With further reading and with a little help from Google translate, I could see that they have a minimum order of just 15 TL for the Çatma Mescit Mahallesi. That is obviously not a problem for two people.

So I guess my question not does anyone have other/better suggestions.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food delivery

The main food delivery service in Istanbul is Yemeksepeti. Register at https://www.yemeksepeti.com/en/istanbul , inputting your address very carefully, and you should have any number of restaurants come up offering to send you food.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
847 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food delivery

Thanks so much.

The address for my airbnb is Çatma Mescit Mh. Tabur imami sokak * Beyoglu, Istanbul Province 34200

(* house number not shown for this post)

I tried to sign up with yemeksepeti.com but in the dropdown for region I could not find Çatma Mescit Mh. It went from Çatalca to Çekmeköy regions. Do you know what the problem is and how I can fix it.

I greatly appreciate your help

Mentioned in this post
Beyoglu
Beyoglu
1,065 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,296 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food delivery

Allen, Your neighborhood is in Beyoglu (Galatasaray) district. Just choose that one. In fact here it is: "https:/…beyoglu-galatasaray". Minimum order amounts show how distant the restaurants are from your apartment.

enjoy Yemeksepeti,

enigma...

Mentioned in this post
Beyoglu
Beyoglu
1,065 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
847 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food delivery

Thanks so much.

I didn't think that the Galatasaray part of Beyoglu would continue to the other side of the Refik Caydam Caddesi.

Now with so many choices, which one to choose!.

Mentioned in this post
Beyoglu
Beyoglu
1,065 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Istanbul
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food delivery

The number of restaurants willing to deliver in my area drops off after about 10pm - though it would likely be later in Beyoğlu - so you might have a somewhat more restricted choice, but even in my odd part of town there will be at least one pizza place open until 4 in the morning or something.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
847 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food delivery

Hopefully with a domestic 8 pm flight arrival I should think that a taxi will get us to our apartment before 10 pm. Also, there might be somewhat later deliveries for a Saturday night.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
847 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food delivery

How much should one tip the delivery person?

I also noticed how to filter on those in Galatasaray so that makes choosing easier!

This is great. Thanks so much!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
847 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food delivery

Also, I now see their hours. Two are until 22:30, one until 03:00 (!), and one that I think I want until 23:00.

This is a really good website. Those Turkish software developers/engineers!

Istanbul
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food delivery

I always tip not less than five liras, and roughly 10% if the bill is above 50 liras. For that reason and because I live up to my nickname, I'm pretty popular. :)

Obviously if the food's late or sauces are oozing out of the package, etc, less.

It *is* a pretty good site, yes. You can also filter by the sort of food you're looking for, or if you want a particular dish and you know its Turkish name, search for that (that's towards the top of the page next to the magnifying glass symbol).

Reply to: Food delivery
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;