We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hydrapasha Terminal open?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
102 reviews
Hydrapasha Terminal open?

There is a posting from May 6 of this year that says the station is not open to the public. There is a picture from February 2018 showing scaffolding and restoration underway.

I believe there is a mention that there may be some events operating there from time to time.

In any case, when I visit Istanbul 7-14 October is there likely any chance that I might be able to see the interior, especially the beautiful arched lobby?

2 replies to this topic
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,940 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Hydrapasha Terminal open?

Allen, I am sure you can see the main entrance lobby but the station is not open for any functions yet. Next year, hopefully it will the main station for High Speed Trains to Ankara.

enigma...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
102 reviews
2. Re: Hydrapasha Terminal open?

Thanks. The main entrance lobby is what I am interested in. I hope the renovation doesn't prevent access.

In the late 80s when I was working for the U.S. government in Ankara, I took the Mavi Tren sleeper to this station. I don't have a memory of the station. That is probably because the most geographic thrill in my life (and still is today) was the ferry boat ride to the European side. The history of Istanbul and that it is the gateway between Europe and Asia was just mind blowing!

I know the boats don't come to the station anymore but I want to see the exact view from there across to Europe.

Are there still thoughts of turning the upper floors into a hotel? The views from the rooms on the front would be incredible!

Reply to: Hydrapasha Terminal open?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted