We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using a foreign mobile phone in Turkey

3 posts
Using a foreign mobile phone in Turkey

Hi all,

I went to Turkey this summer (July 2018), and used a Turkish SIM card. Over the course of my trip, I received a text telling me I need to unlock my UK iPhone within 120 days if I want to keep using it. I was not going to spend 120 days there over the summer, so I did not pay this fee, and I just went back to the UK. My question is if I was to go to Turkey next summer (July 2019), would that 120 day allowance reset for my same unchanged UK iPhone (with the same Turkish SIM), or will it be the sum of the days I spent in Summer 2018 and Summer 2019. The latter would mean I have to pay the high fee to unlock the phone, and so it would of course be ideal if that 120 day allowance reset every time I entered the country.

Thank you very much in advance.

19 replies to this topic
Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Using a foreign mobile phone in Turkey

The 120 day rule goes on the phone's IMEI number so whether you change the sim or not the countdown had begun.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
42,199 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Using a foreign mobile phone in Turkey

Selim M, It will reset with a new Turkish Sim card. So get one at the airport.

enigma.

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Using a foreign mobile phone in Turkey

Ahhh so the IMEI thingy has changed then? I really didn't know that but it was a few years ago I registered and the lady at the tax office explained all about how the IMEI is what is recognised. Thank you for the update :o)

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
42,199 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Using a foreign mobile phone in Turkey

vipfamily, as far as I know IMEI has not changed 120 days rule exists. However the government does not want to punish the frequent visitors to Turkey, by totalling the number of days in all their visits. Someone else can correct me, if it is otherwise.

enigma...

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Using a foreign mobile phone in Turkey

I'm going on just what I was told at the tax office and as we know each officer can on occasions give a different version ;o)

So how else do they identify a foreign handset if not by the IMEI?

6. Re: Using a foreign mobile phone in Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 November 2018, 04:21

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Using a foreign mobile phone in Turkey

Hi Samima,

Welcome to TA. You really should start your own thread to ask this question as it has absolutely nothing to do with a foreign mobile phone.

Just go to the big green box above on the right - "Ask a question"

Mind you - you will no doubt be told that this is not a "travel related" question - but with a bit of luck, you will be advised where you can go to ask.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Using a foreign mobile phone in Turkey

Word of mouth or use an agency. Google is your friend. Do not avoid paying taxes or social security.

Edited: 15 November 2018, 00:56
Norway
1 post
9. Re: Using a foreign mobile phone in Turkey

Ok fine and I am sorry for my fault you don’t need to be soo rude got it

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Using a foreign mobile phone in Turkey

Who was being rude to you Samima? I tried to help you and GG gave you all the advice you needed. Maybe you need to chill a bit out there in Norway....

Oh and great - now I see you have removed your original request for assistance - so making an absolute mockery of anything anyone has posted subsequently. .

Edited: 15 November 2018, 06:48
Reply to: Using a foreign mobile phone in Turkey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted