We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

general cost of food and expense

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
general cost of food and expense

I will be arriving in istanbul in april easter holiday

just wondering what is the general cost in Istanbul like?

eg. How much Liere for a pint of beer, bottle of water, big mac meal macdonald,doner kebabs, street/restaruant food and metro/buses

thanks

England
Level Contributor
70 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: general cost of food and expense

In istanbul the general costs can vary greatly. In the tourist areas you will be paying more than in other areas, places around taksim can also be more expensive. We paid anywhere between 2 and 5 lira for a bottle of water and between 4 and 12 for a bottle of efes! Around the grand bazaar/sultanahmet you can get street food - simit, chestnuts, fish etc and they all have set prices displayed which is useful.

Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: general cost of food and expense

doner in restaurants can vary,as can everything else. if it is just a sidewalk cafe,with tables out front,it will be less than in a fancy restaurant. there are all sorts of places to eat in sultanahmet. I found a really nice cafe type a place for doner and paid about 15 lira for a full meal,appetizer and main,no dessert,and soda. with wine,it will of course be more. check the restaurant reviews here at the top of the page.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: general cost of food and expense

Hi lungfish,

The cost for a metro/tram/ferry ticket is 1.4 Turkish Lira.

One of the least expensive places to eat is a type of restaurant called a lokanta. They're similar to cafeterias...the food is arranged on steamtables and you just point to what you want. You can sometimes see exactly what they're serving from a window facing the street. Not only are they inexpensive, the food is also usually very good. You'll know you're at a good one if there are a lot of Turks eating there.

Jo

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: general cost of food and expense

I think that we should update this post for any new travellers to Istanbul in the near future..Can anyone post their views in general of the costs of food and drink in Istanbul...touristy and non-touristy areas..

for example ( again I cannot speak for Istanbul at it is well know that food, produce and drinks are more expensive in Istanbul over other cities ) I went grocery shopping yesterday and today..and brought about 500 grams of ground beef for almost 8 liras...( this to feed a family of three ) the cost per kg for ground beef is 13.99 liras at the supermarket..

yesterday tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, and zucchini cost me 1 lira per kg..

simit cost me 50 kurus each and cheese kumru 65 kurus each

and these are the costs at a local weekly market and a hipermarket where all turks shop.

as for Burger King a whopper menu meal is almost 9 liras each.

what are the average cost per entree ? in Istanbul..

for say DÖNER, chicken kebabs, lamb kebabs etc..

sorry if it has already been mentioned before..

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: general cost of food and expense

sorry meant doner durum...

and here are some interesting websites on Istanbul food

…wordpress.com/2007/…

…latimes.com/articles/la-tr-istanbul21-2008s…

timesonline.co.uk/tol/…article5148993.ece

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: general cost of food and expense

I am posting the price I can remember. The prices are varies depend on location. Sultanahmet area is always little bit expensive.

I went to Istanbul 19-24 Sept 09.

-Tram/Metro/Ferry: 1.5TL

-Entrance Fee to Topkapi&Hagia Sophia: 20TL

-Entrance Fee to Galata Tower: 10TL

-Water: around 0.4-1 TL for 500ml and 1-2TL for 1L.

-McD Meal: 9-13TL

-Doner: 2.5-6TL

-Food at Lokanta(including drink): 10-12TL

-Food at decent restaurant: 10-20TL

-Street food: 4-8TL

-Candy/Chocolate/snacks: 1-4TL.

-Keychain & Magnet fridge: 1-4TL

-Istanbul T-Shirt: 8TL (can be less if you buy more than 2)

-Colorful pattern bowl (for souvenir): 2TL-35TL (depend on the size)

-Baby diapers: They dont have small package. Minimum 28pcs per package. Price around 17TL

Hope this will help people preparing the budget.

7. Re: general cost of food and expense

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2010, 12:18