We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hrs layover at 6 am

canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Topic
7 hrs layover at 6 am

Hi have a 7 hour layover at istanbul from 6 am to 1 pm. Is there anything that we can see perhaps visit the old city? Pls help thanks

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hrs layover at 6 am

Hi,

When taking into consideration the rule that you have to be back at the airport two hours before your connecting flight, and also the time to be spent in psssport formalities, you have four hours to enjoy Istanbul. I'd suggest that you take taxi from the airport to the old city aka Sultanahmet, stroll around the area between the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia and get back to the airport by taxi.

Enjoy,

Borus

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,870 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hrs layover at 6 am

i123, welcome to Istanbul.

You have about 3.5 hours in the city. Take a taxi to Sultanahmet, enjoy the Hippodrome, visit the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque and Basilica Cistern. And if you have time have a quich breakfast and take a taxi back to the airport 2.5 hours before your next flight. A taxi to Sultanahmet cost around 40 TL and Turkish visa for Canadians is 60 USD/person (If you are a Canadian citizen). This visit is worth every penny of the money spent on transport and visas.

good luck,

enigma...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hrs layover at 6 am

I agree with enigma, but don't waste time in the Hippodrome. Be at AyaSofia when it opens at 9am, then cross to the Cistern, and end at The Blue Mosque.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 hrs layover at 6 am

Ditto what poortraveler just said.

canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 hrs layover at 6 am

Hi all, its a little late but thank you for the info..

basically we have 2 7 hr layover in instanbul, does this mean we need to get visa 2x?

First layover: 5 pm to 1 am , we are planning to go to the grand bazzaar or any suggestions?

Second layover: we'll follow all suggestions above.

thank you

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,870 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 hrs layover at 6 am

i123, Grand Bazaar closes at 7.00 PM. By the time you get there, you probably will have only half an hour of Grand Bazaar so it is up to you. ı suggest you do the GB during your second layover.

During the first layover in the evening, I suggest that you go to Taksim/Istiklal street area and enjoy a fun evening there. You can take the HAVATAS airport bus directly to Taksim and back in time for your flight at 1.00 AM. Here are the HAVATAS airport bus schedules: "http://www.havatas.com.tr/en/coach.aspx?i=1", and here is my post No. 2 on a walk at Istiklal street: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k4759…".

If you return to Turkey within 90 days after your initial entry, then you do not need a visa again for the second visit. Your initial tourist visa is good for 90 days.

good luck,

enigma...

7. Re: 7 hrs layover at 6 am

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 08:19