We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A little help please

Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
445 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
A little help please

Having spent the last 6 hours on here checking out the places I want to see, I have a few questions... It`s my first visit :o)

Is it worth buying tickets for museums in advance ? We`re visiting for 5 and a half days at the end of this month.

Is there a transport map available online I can download before I go ?

What is the easiest way to get to Rumeli Fortress from Sultanahmet ? (We will be buying a Istanbulkart) How long approximately will it take us to see it ?

What is the easiest way to get to Villa Bosphorus restaurant ?

That`s all for now !!

Thanks

Regards

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,111 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A little help please

traceyandpeter, welcome to Istanbul.

It is better to buy the tickets in advance. This way you will avoid the ticketing lines (in case there are cruise ships in town).

Here is the rail systems map of Istanbul. "…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…29.png".

From Sultanahmet simply get on the tram and go to Kabatas (terminus). And from Kabatas get on the bus 25E and get off at Rumeli Hisarı (Fortress). Return the same way. Use ıstanbulkart for all these trips round trip.

Villa Bosphorus is at Cengelköy, the Asian side of Bosphorus. To go there for dinner, take a Bosphorus commuter ferry from Eminonu to Cegelkoy: here are the ferry schedules. "sehirhatlari.com.tr/Images/…9F-Tarifesi.pdf" (page 15). For return, take a taxi back to Uskudar and a ferry from uskudar to Eminonu: (page 9 of ferry schedules). last ferry from Eminonu is at 22.30.

good luck,

enigma...

Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
445 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A little help please

That`s great Enigma, thank you very much :o)

They`ll be very handy.

I`m sure I`ll be back on here with more questions - the more I look into this the more excited I get !!

Regards

Tracey

Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
445 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A little help please

Okay :o) Another day spent pouring over the computer. A few more questions...

I`m arriving at lunchtime on a Saturday and leaving at 4pm on the Thursday - staying in Sultanahmet. I have a list of places to see, do you think I have enough time, or spare time to see more ? (Just generally, I know you can`t know how long it will take me to wander and gawp !! ) This is my list -

Blue Mosque

Hagia Sophia (e ticket bought online)

Topkapi Palace and Harem (e ticket bought)

Galata Tower

Rumeli Fortress

Cable car between Eyup and Pierre Lotti

Any suggestions of which cistern to see ?

Is the Galata Tower open every day ?

Tour on the Bosphorus ?

Thank you

Tracey

Edited: 08 November 2012, 14:46
Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A little help please

Grand Bazaar and Suleyman mosque, then walk down to spice Bazaaar.

I would include the archelogical museum.

Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
445 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A little help please

Thanks for your suggestions Roald.

Will I have time for all these things ?

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A little help please

no :p You would exhaust yourself. Most people make a second trip, even that may be far from enough

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
552 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A little help please

TraceyandPeter, in addition to Enigma and Roald's help, I can tell you that my wife and I visited the Blue Mosque (free) late in the evening, just before 7PM I believe. The guards were just beginning to urge people away. We went to the wrong entrance at the back of the Blue Mosque first (accidentally on purpose) and a guard there told me that the entrance was closed, but to go to the other entrance quickly (he nodded toward it).

Next day we visited Hagia Sophia, Topaki Palace, and the Harem. We arrived at the ticket entrance to Topaki Palace about 10 AM. There were a lot of people there (1000+). I had my printed tickets, having read Engima's advice earlier in the summer. As I approached the entrance, 2 questionable looking men asked me if I 'wanted to buy tickets?' I didn't answer, and immediately afterward 2 men with official looking badges asked me if I 'had my ticket?' I said I had my tickets, and one man pointed toward the entrance.

At the entrance, I counted roughly 100 people per minute (~6000 per hour) going through the entrance. Also, just inside an entrance, further in on the grounds of Topaki Palace, I noticed 2 soldiers with automatic weapons - one soldier was looking at faces while the other soldier was looking at what was being carried in hands. When we left Topaki Palace about an hour later, I noticed that most people were in tour groups.

Also, even though I had done a lot of research throughout the summer, I was surprised at how difficult it was for me to find Hagia Sophia and Topaki Palace. We actually visited a few other mosques (and asked for directions on leaving) before we found Hagia Sophia. I could find it now in an instant, but it wasn't like that when I arrived in Istanbul on October 18 for 3 days. It made Istanbul all the better of course. We really wanted to visit the archaeology museum, but as Roald has said...exhaust(ion). And we wanted to shop. I found a good bookstore, and that was that. Best of luck.

Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
445 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A little help please

It`s a shame the places don`t open a little earlier. We`ve been to a few countries where they opened museums etc at 8am and some even 7am. We are early risers so this suits us.

Aeolis - I`m sure half the fun is wandering round, so I don`t want to make this trip too regimented. If we don`t see everything we want to, we`ll just have to make another trip :o)

philadelphia
Level Contributor
104 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A little help please

just adding my 2 cents. I have a fascination with cemantaries and therefore was eager to go to the eyup site. I enjoyed the walk up but all in all, the cable car and pierre loti was not worth the amount of time that in takes to get there. I would rather spend that time wandering the amazing neighborhoods of istanbul. Also, my favorite mosque was fatih, I also loved that neighborhood.

10. Re: A little help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2013, 18:16