We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curative Power of Boiled Potatoes

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Curative Power of Boiled Potatoes

We have been in Istanbul a week today. I had no sooner touched Turkish soil than I became violently ill. Between moaning with discomfort I mourned my lost vacation. I knew, based on many past experiences, that my body would not recover for weeks, and I was destined to spend much of this month in bed.

Then our good friend took over the management of my illness. Though not a doctor, he is an experienced tour guide. His special expertise is the wilds of Eastern Turkey, where he has taken thousands of visitors. When he assured me he had helped many of them, I put myself in his hands.

I took no prescription of OTC medication. He ordered a diet of boiled potatoes with lots of salt, water, powdered ginger and bananas. The staff of our hotel boiled potatoes and delivered them hot to my room every morning and evening. I did not expect to be able to eat them, but actually found them quite tasty, almost as if my body appreciated this particular food. After 24 hours I had started to feel better, and by Monday I was once again walking the streets of Sultanahmet.

This is the quickest recovery I have had from this type of illness in many years, and I really give credit to boiled potatoes and powdered ginger. It is a remedy I am going to add to my personal journal. I firmly believe that the treatments from the village are often more effective than modern pharmaceuticals.

Although I am quite well, I am still receiving boiled potatoes every morning at breakfast. I have become very fond of them, added to my regular diet of tomatoes, cucumbers, yogurt, olives, fresh fruit and simit so I have not told anyone I no longer need them.

I am sharing this treatment with no guarantee except the promise that it can do you no harm, and potentially provide quick relief.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Curative Power of Boiled Potatoes

Oh the mighty spud!

My grandma used it raw, thinly sliced to get rid of a planter's wart. She also used a broad-leafed weed from the garden and wet it with a Fels Naptha soap for boils or anything that needed a "drawing" action.

She lived in northern Indiana, so whatever weeds are there, may have some value. Kudzu, which I fought with in the Carolinas, however, has yet to explain itself!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Curative Power of Boiled Potatoes

Thanks for all your useful tips for what is a very common ailment for people who travel. I blame the close confines of an airplane; although I think this current experience may have been the result of food poisoning. Even if the flight attendant hands it out all warm and toasty, I think if the sandwich tastes strange you should probably not eat. Lesson learned.

Sharon, we fight kudzu daily, but because it is so abundant there is much research being done about this noxious weed. They have successfully converted it to methane for gasoline. There are some ladies in Georgia making gorgeous baskets from the dried vines. One company has produced a lovely paper from kudzu, and there is medical research indicating that, among other things, a substance in kudza may be effective in treating alcohol addiction. Now if they could just cure food addiction they would really have a marketable product.

In the US the state most famous for producing potatoes is Idaho, and I spent most of my life living right in the heart of potato country. It is, therefore, quite embarrassing that I had never heard of this treatment, when it appears to be well known in other areas of the world.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Curative Power of Boiled Potatoes

BR, you should be well healed up by now by now with all your potatoes :-)

You know, they sell potato bread in Turkey. İt is a regional product from the area south of Afyon. When we pass through İ always get me a bread like that. İt is very heavy and huge (like the round village bread).

Enjoy!

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Curative Power of Boiled Potatoes

I have never heard of this potato remedy before, I will have to ask my husband about it, I'm sure his mum would know that one. I will remember next time any of us are sick.

15. Re: Curative Power of Boiled Potatoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2013, 18:16