We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay? Hotel or hostel suggestions?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay? Hotel or hostel suggestions?

Hi all!

Just booked flights with my boyfriend for a trip to Istanbul at the end of April. While deciding to go to Istanbul was an easy choice, we're feeling a bit overwhelmed with figuring out where to stay. We're in our mid twenties and would like to be near to as much as possible while still being budget conscious. We're only in Istanbul for 3 days, so we would like to spend as little time as possible getting to different places! Any and all suggestions and tips would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay? Hotel or hostel suggestions?

Hi Alli - You've got two things going for you at the same time: You're in your 20's, and I'm guessing your energy is age appropriate! With only 3 days and much to see from a historical standpoint, the recommendation would probably be for first-timers to stay in Sultanhamet.

But with a fantastic transportation system that can get you from the Historical Peninsula to the Beyoglu area in 20 minutes easily, I would recommend something in Taksim. Please see "which area should I stay" in FAQ on right hand side of this page to give you more info. This "New District" as it is called, offers a modern, urban, and energetic flavor in contrast to the Old Town. This is an area that you would definitely want to visit as a "must see" anyway, so it is where I would stay. Taksim Square is the gateway to the famous pedestrian Istiklal street lined with hip shopping, street munching, people watching, restaurants, cafes, clubs, art galleries and some great music offerings.

Do not worrry about spending too much time getting to different places since Taksim Square is like your "Grand Central" in midtown Manhattan, as it connects to the rest of the city by buses, trams, funicular and Metro. It's also a fantastic walk to get from one side to the other over the Galata Bridge. Be sure you guys take the 1.5 hr. Bosphorus cruise, and grab a fish sandwich by the piers! I am sure local DE's can come up with some budget alternatives for you.

sharon

Edited: 12 November 2012, 12:24
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,167 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay? Hotel or hostel suggestions?

Alli, welcome to Istanbul.

You could stay at Sirkeci or Sultanahmet areas to be close to historical attractions but if you like fun, entertainment, fine dining and shopping, then you should stay at Taksim/Beyoglu area. Public transport between these to areas is excellent and does not take a long time. If you want you can also walk from Taksim to Sultanahmet in about 50 minutes. So my suggestion is Istiklal street/Taksim area for you.

Here are some hotel suggestions. They all have excellent locations and are pretty much very reasonbly priced hotels. First ODDA Hotel at Balo street, "tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d217133…", and Hotel Residence Istanbul, "tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d121423…", and Stories Apart Karakol, "tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d203870…". Check the reviews, the prices, quality of services, locations, etc. and then you can decide which one suits you the best.

good luck,

enigma...

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay? Hotel or hostel suggestions?

3 moderately priced hotels in Sirkeci which suit your needs, all very central in Istanbul: Agan, Ilkay and Emin. They are all excellent for further exploration of the city. Emin has outside seating.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay? Hotel or hostel suggestions?

If you wanted to stay close to the historic sights, either the Sebnem or Peninsula hotels in Sultanhmet would be a good choice. They are both budget hotels but very well located (Sebnem especially) and get great reviews.

5. Re: Where to stay? Hotel or hostel suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2013, 18:16