We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Market Tours

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Market Tours

Is it worthwhile to do a market tour in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem if it is our first time? Any recommendations on tour guides/companies?

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
4 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
241 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Market Tours

We took a Sunday morning tour of the market in Jerusalem in April. Our guide was Joel Haber ( funJoel Israeli tours, google him and read his reviews here on TA) he showed us visitors and tlv locals a vibrant wonderful market, told great stories and introduced us to foods we might not of tried otherwise...we all had the best time with Joel !

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Market Tours

If you are a foodie a guide can enhance your tour. Take it Monday-Friday as Saturday the markets are closed and Sunday not everything is open since there is no fresh produce after the Sabbath(Saturday).

Joel is good. Another great guide for a culinary tour is, Debra Nussbaum Stepen.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,642 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Market Tours

If you are interested in Machne Yehuda in Jerusalem, they have their own website!

https://en.machne.co.il

If you don't want a full tour with a guide, consider getting a "bite card" --explained on website. I was hanging out at my friend's son's restaurant and a group with bite cards came by. They got their sample food and sample beer and seemed to be having a great time using the card.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Yehuda
Hotel Yehuda
1,028 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
5,170 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Market Tours

I second (third) Joel Haber. I do know him in real life - and he is hugely knowledgeable about the Mahane Yehuda market in Jerusalem and gives great recommendations as well as being a real foodie who knows where to find the best.

He has also made a huge amount of information about the market available online:

http://funjoelsisrael.com/machane-yehuda-map/

The bites card is a nice concept but I'd say not necessary in order to enjoy tastes in the shuk: you can equally well go around and sample what takes your fancy. If you go to the Jerusalem forum, in the Top Questions you'll find some suggestions for Mahane Yehuda market.

Mentioned in this post
Mahane Yehuda Market
Mahane Yehuda Market
1,024 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Reply to: Market Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted