We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Tel Aviv on Oct. 01 Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
30 reviews
Arriving in Tel Aviv on Oct. 01 Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah

Hi,

Just a quick question... is it a bad idea to arrive in Tel Aviv on Oct. 01, during the Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah?

I'm asking this because I want a full month of vacation and the Air Transat flight I have found is way cheaper (like 300$ cheaper than Air Canada) than other flights (and to have a full month, there are no other flights arriving later than that).

I know that public transportation will not be operating... but besides that, would I miss much?

I plan to stay in Tel Aviv the first few days anyway.

So would I be able to get from the airport to my hotel? Would I be able to check in at my hotel? Eat in restaurants? Visit some attractions? Or is everything closed and I should consider another date?

Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
116 reviews
1. Re: Arriving in Tel Aviv on Oct. 01 Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah

The day will be just like a Shabbat - taxis will be available from the airport. You will be able to check in to your hotel and most restaurants in Tel Aviv are not kosher so that they will be open for business. There will be plenty of options of things to do that day.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Arriving in Tel Aviv on Oct. 01 Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah

So, except for public transportations not available, I should not see much of a difference?

Is a taxi my only option to get to my hotel?

If so, how much would that be to get from the airport to a city center hotel using a taxi?

Thanks!

Towson, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: Arriving in Tel Aviv on Oct. 01 Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah

It's only a 1 day holiday in Israel so I wouldn't let it stand in your way. There are plenty of non-kosher places that are open. Some attractions will be closed, some will be open. You could also hit the beach or just relax.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 01:44
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Arriving in Tel Aviv on Oct. 01 Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah

gprimr1,

"You could also hit the beach or just relax."

- After a long flight, I'm not planning to do much anyway on that first day, so even if a few attractions are closed, I wouldn't mind that much. Everything will be open the next day thought?

I'm more concerned about transportation.

Towson, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Arriving in Tel Aviv on Oct. 01 Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah

The price looks to be 152NIS for 1 person with 1 bag. The taxi fare is a flat rate. Once you leave customs, proceed to the taxi stand, ignore anyone who offers you a taxi, and get a taxi from the dispatcher. There is nothing to worry about here. Israel Airports Authority does a good job of making sure there are always taxis, and the taxis maintain a good reputation. You don't need to worry, or look into booking an airport pickup, just hit the ATM, get some Shekels, walk to the taxi stand, get a taxi and go to your hotel.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Arriving in Tel Aviv on Oct. 01 Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah

gprimr1,

"The price looks to be 152NIS for 1 person with 1 bag. The taxi fare is a flat rate."

- I checked and this means around 55$ canadian... so if I save 300$ on my flight, and using a taxi is the only downside, I think I'm still making a good deal.

Thanks.

Towson, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
63 reviews
7. Re: Arriving in Tel Aviv on Oct. 01 Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah

Just curious, what time are you arriving on October 1st?

And yes, that's a pretty good deal.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Arriving in Tel Aviv on Oct. 01 Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah

I would be arriving at 9h10 AM in Tel Aviv airport.

Does this change something?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Arriving in Tel Aviv on Oct. 01 Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah

As you are arriving in the morning there will be no Public Transport. If you would arrive in the evening public transport would start shortly after sunset.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: Arriving in Tel Aviv on Oct. 01 Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah

I see... so a taxi would be my only option then?

Reply to: Arriving in Tel Aviv on Oct. 01 Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted