We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bookstore - looking for books for Hebrew learners

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
44 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Bookstore - looking for books for Hebrew learners

Shalom

Would anyone be able to recommend a decent bookstore that sells books for English speakers learning Hebrew? Eg. להצלח בעברית etc.

I will be based out of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv and will be in and around the “usual” tourist sights.

Toda raba

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
6 replies to this topic
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,638 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bookstore - looking for books for Hebrew learners

Halper's Bookstore in Tel Aviv. Most of their stuff is in English.

I think it's on Allenby if I recall.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
MILWAUKEE
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bookstore - looking for books for Hebrew learners

I liked using hebrewpod101.com. Wide range of lessons and you get pronunciation examples and a chance to repeat words and phrases.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bookstore - looking for books for Hebrew learners

Steimatsky has a moderately sized English section, but there are plenty of Steimatskys so you'll probably be near one. They surely have at least one or two books for learning Hebrew, and they may have chosen the "best "ones. I'm not a beginner and what I needed was more vocabulary, so I bought pocket size phrase books. I'm sorry to say that all 4 of the ones they had had no nikud, pointing, vowels, and if you're a learner, you need that. It's rather stupid of them imo. I only have two of them on my desk, Berlitz and Lonely Planet. Berlitz has a transliteration in the glossary but not in the body of the book. Lonely Planet transliterates in both places, but even for a beginner, I think it's terrible that they don't include the Hebrew vowels.

Edited: 17 June 2018, 16:02
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
44 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bookstore - looking for books for Hebrew learners

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I went to Halpern’s yesterday and unfortunately they did not have any suitable ones for me. I guess I came at the wrong time since they’re a 2nd hand bookstore. Nevertheless that place is a gem!!

I did find a couple of books at the basement of a new, modern bookstore (can’t remember the name) just a couple of blocks from Halpern’s (towards Allenby) but I might just have a look at other shops first. The Lonely Planet in this shop was 186 shekels... as opposed to 58 on the Book Depository! I did expect a price difference but surely not that much!

I have been using hebrewpod101 and can vouch for it ;-)

I will try Steimatzky’s today. The niqqud has been really hard to learn (for me anyway). Hopefully better luck today!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bookstore - looking for books for Hebrew learners

186 shekels for the4" by 5.5" phrase book? Wow. That reminds me of Ebay, american ebay at least, where the same thing will sell, new for $15 and used, for, say , $10, and $2000 There is a lot of that, but I don't know how the prices are set or if anyone buys the expensive ones, especially when there are still those at regular price for sale.

The price label on my copy is pretty dirty, but with a magnifying glass, I can see that the price on the cover is UK 4.99 pounds, US $8.99, and it appears to be 69 shekels, at Steimatzky. The similar Berlitz book is definitely 55 shekels, Passe-Part-Tout hasno store label but the US price is $10.95 and i can't find my 4th one, but I think all four were about the same price.

There is also Tzomet Sfarim, sort of "Book Intersection" in my early stage of Hebrew. The second largest chain in Israel after Steimatsky. But by this time, the only thing I was buying was the daily edition of the Jerusalem Post. Still, the stores had a bunch of English language books, current reading like books about current American politics. I would think they have one or tow books on learning Hebrew. I can't filnd a list of where there stores are, but just ask people where you are for bookstores.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,624 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bookstore - looking for books for Hebrew learners

Tell us where you are, and we'll tell you where to find the nearest branch of Tzomet Sfarim. Or look here:

https://tinyurl.com/ycxxeu5m

Reply to: Bookstore - looking for books for Hebrew learners
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted