We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iran Visa as U.S. Citizen

Philadelphia...
14 posts
Save Topic
Iran Visa as U.S. Citizen

My friend and I are desperately wanting to visit Iran in November. We understand that, as US citizens, we must obtain an authorization through a booked tour in order to obtain a visa.

Is it absolutely necessary to book a tour for the entire trip, or is it possible to book a 1 day tour to get the visa?

Does anybody have personal experience in doing this, or know any US citizens who have? It's been my dream to travel this country and my plan was to book a 1-day tour in order to get the visa, but I'm not sure if that's sufficient enough. I've heard mixed reviews, some people saying that it's as strict as needing the tourism agency to pick you up at the airport and never leave your side, and others saying that booking a 1-day tour is enough to get a visa approved and are free to roam around Iran on the days without the tour.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, and please, only insightful and knowledgable replies only. I'm trying my best to make this work.

Mentioned in this post
Iran
Iran
Middle East
8 replies to this topic
Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
201 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iran Visa as U.S. Citizen

*only insightful and knowledgable replies only. *

Hi

There is nothing 100 % insight in IRAN. So the process for UK / US/ Canadian tourist is : you MUST enter to Iran with the organized fully booked tour for FUL duration of your stay, and It's Paid in advance.

You may do some, you may run away from the tour, at night, go somewhere by your own, yes you can do everything but be aware of its consequences.

Below link may help :

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Iran
Iran
Middle East
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Iran Visa as U.S. Citizen

im a US citizen traveling to Iran next week. you cannot book a one day tour. your visa process will require full itinerary from start to finish you do not simply get a visa with open ended dates like other countries the visa will state your exact date of entry and amount of dates in Iran which will need to coincide with your tour.

Traveling to iran is very special experience and were lucky as US citizens to still be able to do so despite how poorly our government has treated Iran. Follow the simple rules and you'll be fine. trying to find loop holes or ways around the government sanctions will not do anything but bring negativity. find a good travel agency and have them partner you with a guide who fits your needs I'm sure you will be able to get some free spaces he or she will not be holding you hand the whole trip. The rules are in place for a reason.

good luck

Mentioned in this post
Iran
Iran
Middle East
Esfahan, Iran
Level Contributor
226 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iran Visa as U.S. Citizen

Hi Christopher

Happy to see you're so interested . As Jason said the only way that you can get Iran visa and travel to Iran , is a qualified travel agency organize a tour for you with details of itinerary and booked hotels and through whole your trip a you should be accompanied with a licensed guide . But it doesn't mean that you will be restricted or you won't enjoy the trip , Please have a look at Simon's review here : https:/… . British and American people meet same requirements for getting visa . If you needed help for organizing a tour or visa or anything please write to me .

Wish you a fantastic trip

Bests

Pegah

Mentioned in this post
Iran
Iran
Middle East
Philadelphia...
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Iran Visa as U.S. Citizen

Thank you everyone for your replies! It looks pretty unrealistic to travel to Iran at this time considering how expensive tours are for the length I intend to stay for. I am hoping this situation changes, although I don't have much hope for the American government in helping to do so anytime soon. I will keep all of this information in the back of my mind for my future travel plans.

Mentioned in this post
Iran
Iran
Middle East
Shiraz, Iran
Level Contributor
44 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iran Visa as U.S. Citizen

Hello dear traveler!welcome to Shiraz especially Iran.You should have a tour from the beginning to the end.You can buy your tours from Travel agencies.

have a nice day.

Mentioned in this post
Shiraz
Shiraz
Fars Province, Iran
Iran
Iran
Middle East
Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iran Visa as U.S. Citizen

We visited about 9 months ago. Canadians, Americans and British citizens had to be accompanied by a tour guide at all times during our stay in Iran. Most other foreign nationals can come and go as they please, but not us three nationals. I posted a review of our tour operator jus today if you are interested check it out.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 10:38
Mentioned in this post
Iran
Iran
Middle East
Philadelphia...
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Iran Visa as U.S. Citizen

How strict was the tour? Did the public ensure that you were with a tour at all times, including restaurants, hotels, etc.?

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iran Visa as U.S. Citizen

The tour was very relaxing and flexible. The benefit of a small tour is the guide adapts to what you want to do if for some reason you do not want to precisely follow the itinerary and that happened on two occasions. We decided to visit something else other than what is on the itinerary. The Iranian people are the nicest people you will ever meet. A few times everyday, individuals or families would approach us and ask to have a photo taken with you. They love foreign tourists. I'm Canadian, but I found they love Americans, just not the US govt. I could go on and on about Iran - like how Jews, Christians and Muslims live together in peace. How the Iranian parliament is, by law, made up of representatives from the Jewish, Christian and Zorastrian communities. I'd be happy to discuss further if you wish. There must be a way of private communication on this site.

Mentioned in this post
Iran
Iran
Middle East
Reply to: Iran Visa as U.S. Citizen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted