We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oman with regular car (no SUV)

1 post
Save Topic
Oman with regular car (no SUV)

Hi everyone,

3 of my friends and I are going to Oman for a 10 days trip in the north of Oman.

As our budget is a bit tight we didn't rent a SUV but a regular car for our trip.

We have looked on different forums and it seems that SUVs are required only if we wish to go off road and in the desert. And we have seen posts saying that we can park the car at the entrance of deserts / wabis and then take a local guide / taxi for those trips.

But everything we have found is old stuff. Can someone that was there recently advice us and tell us if we make a mistake?

Have a good day,

Mathias.

Mentioned in this post
Oman
Oman
Middle East
1 reply
Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
715 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oman with regular car (no SUV)

Welcome to Oman. The information that you have is still pretty accurate. A regular car will be fine if you do not want to do any off-roading. As far as I recall, the only place that is not an offroad. but requires an SUV is AlJabal AlAkhdhar. There is a checkpoint before the entrance to the mountain that does not allow you to drive on if you do not have an SUV. Other than that, you should be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Oman
Oman
Middle East
Reply to: Oman with regular car (no SUV)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted