We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South America San Pedro to Uyuni

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
South America San Pedro to Uyuni

We are hoping to hire a mini van, there will be 6 of us, and hire a driver through South America probably for the whole time.

Part we are planning now is driving from SAN Pedro to Uyuni.

I was hoping to see on the way - Laguna verde, Laguna Blanca, geysers, the hot springs, Laguna colorada etc with time for photos and to swim etc.

we were hoping to drive in the first day and maybe stay in Laguna colorada (or somewhere), then the next day continue to Uyuni. Then the following day spend in Uyuni.

Is it possible to drive from SAN Pedro to Uyuni in 2 days and still have time to explore, see the sights, have a swim at hot springs?

Google isn’t helpful with driving times and I am worried if we are trying to fit too much in because most tours I’ve looked at are 3 days.

Is this itinerary possible?

Mentioned in this post
Uyuni
Uyuni
Potosi Department, Bolivia
Laguna Verde
Laguna Verde
574 Reviews
Laguna Colorada
Laguna Colorada
279 Reviews
Potosi, Bolivia
4 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: South America San Pedro to Uyuni

A regular tour between both towns takes 3 days, costs arround 200usd and includes meals, driver/guide, transportation in a 4x4, and accomodation. You can hire it in san pedro de atacama.

You can also hire a 4 days tour that get you back to san pedro de atacama

London
Level Contributor
3,548 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South America San Pedro to Uyuni

"most tours I’ve looked at are 3 days.” for good reason - that is how long it takes to get from SPdeA to Uyuni and take in all the sights. Go for a three day tour, you won’t regret it.

Minivans won’t be able to cover that route. It is at very high altitude, one rough terrain and requires a robust 4WD vehicle. With six of you it will be very, very high and uncomfortable. You may struggle to find a tour that will accept six people and, if you do, they are likely to be one of the dodgy outfits operating there. I would seriously think about splitting your group between two jeeps even if it means sharing with a couple of strangers (which would reduce the cost. the jeeps tend to travel in convoys, especially those from the same outfit in case of breakdowns etc

Mentioned in this post
Uyuni
Uyuni
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
35,510 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South America San Pedro to Uyuni

3 days is the usual tour time it would take.

Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: South America San Pedro to Uyuni

Almost all tours use a toyota landcruiser which has a small third row (most tours put 2 people in the back due to the short leg room). If 3 of you dont mind squishing in the back you could all fit in one car with guide sitting in the front and luggage goes on the roof.

Reply to: South America San Pedro to Uyuni
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;