We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pat downs and frisk in Bogota Colombia

Dallas, Georgia
8 posts
Save Topic
Pat downs and frisk in Bogota Colombia

Hi I have a girlfriend from Bogota Colombia, she's nice but she often lies or will over exaggerate things, anyways I usually carry a pocket knife with me wherever I go I always have, I know she is right about this not being allowed in Bogota, but she is telling me that the police can and often do just Pat anyone down for no reason, she claims she was once patted down at a checkpoint outside of Bogota but people tell me this never happens they only check your license and papers and stuff at these checkpoints, she also claims that she was once pulled over because they thought she was with another car who had drugs and she was patted down, this I think maybe she was just with a bad person who had drugs and they patted her down because she was with him or her, but anyways is this normal in Bogota to be pat searched by the police? Also is it normal to be pat down searched anywhere else like a mall or bar or nightclubs or wherever.

24 replies to this topic
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pat downs and frisk in Bogota Colombia

Retenes militares or police checkpoints are common in Colombia; routinely they check cars for weapons, contraband.Pat downs sure they happen,carrying knives or simular weapons in the street are prohibited under Colombian law.

I personally don't have any problems with occasional searches,I have nothing to hide.It's a safety issue ùnderstandably so,I don't argue the point nor do I think you should,be polite and you will get the same.I don't think they will hassle you if you have Swiss army knife in your backpack while traveling.

Ley de armas blancas:

eltiempo.com/archivo/documento/CMS-15942115

Edited: 11 June 2018, 14:52
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pat downs and frisk in Bogota Colombia

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Leave your pocket knife at home while in Colombia.

Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
588 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pat downs and frisk in Bogota Colombia

I have a Pocket Knife that could be extremely lethal. I never take it out of the house. If you are somewhere where they are going to Frisk you, comply politely. It will be over in one minute. You must show them your identification (Cedula if you are a Resident, Passport if you are a Tourist.) Always be polite with police officers and other officials.They are doing their job. Among the people they search, they find some bad people and remove them from the street, for your safety and that of your girlfriend.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
898 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pat downs and frisk in Bogota Colombia

Bogotá could use more of that, starting with Transmilenio stations.

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pat downs and frisk in Bogota Colombia

I agree with Stephan..if you already know it is not allowed in Colombia....leave it home...respect the rules of the country you are visiting...

Dallas, Georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pat downs and frisk in Bogota Colombia

Ok but I'm asking if it's normal or not, like have you ever been

Dallas, Georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pat downs and frisk in Bogota Colombia

But that's my question, where is somewhere where they are going to frisk you? I don't even plan to carry a knife I really have issues with being touched

Dallas, Georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pat downs and frisk in Bogota Colombia

Again, not my question I don't plan to carry the knife, I really have issues with being touched so is this normal or not?

Manizales, Colombia
Level Contributor
281 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pat downs and frisk in Bogota Colombia

Police searches are common all over Colombia, so you better get used to it.

They are in no way threatening, but if you get caught with anything illegal (weapons, drugs) you are in big trouble.

Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
588 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pat downs and frisk in Bogota Colombia

OP you should not go to airports in the USA. There was a story within the past few days about the TSA in a Washington DC area airport (Dulles in Chantilly VA as I recall) patting down a 96 year old woman who was in a Wheelchair, for approximately 5 minutes.

Reply to: Pat downs and frisk in Bogota Colombia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bogota