We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yangon to Inle Lake... VIP bus? Motion sick?

chicago area
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Yangon to Inle Lake... VIP bus? Motion sick?

I want to travel to Inle Lake for a few nights with my husband and grown daughter but am concerned about getting motion sick. I can't justify the cost of flights for the three of us ( about $740 USD) for only a few days as we will be gone for three weeks and are on a fairly tight budget.

I always take Dramamine before flights and long car/ bus rides if they might be bumpy or windy, but I sometimes even get sick if they are extra curvy for a long time and it ruins my day.

Can someone tell me how windy are the roads. I'm wondering if we should skip Inle Lake altogether and take day trips from Yangon. We are also taking a boat from Mandaly to Bagan and then flying from Bagan to Yangon.

6 replies to this topic
Den Haag
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yangon to Inle Lake... VIP bus? Motion sick?

Economy seat with local airlines Yangon to Heho is only around 100dollars, MNA airlines are 95$ so for 3 persons that is 600 dollars return. The highway up north is not very good ( google on Death highway burma) and up into the Shan hills is a long sleepless winding bus trip. VIP busses are good nowadays but I always fly that route.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yangon to Inle Lake... VIP bus? Motion sick?

The Yangon to Mandalay road is pretty straight and flat, so for about the first half of the trip it's fine, then it will climb into the mountains for about 2 hours, after that it's not too bad, undulates a bit but around Kalaw to Inle I don't think it will be problem. I don't think the road is bad, been on a lot worse in Laos and Philippines.

If you want flat straight roads then stick to Yangon to Mandalay and Bagan. You can always do side trips from those places instead of Inle.

Then you will have to go to Mandalay?

Edited: 14 September 2017, 17:21
puerto princesa
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yangon to Inle Lake... VIP bus? Motion sick?

We took the JJ Express night bus and found the driver to be very safe. The seats recline and we had a good sleep, but yes, there are many curved as the bus winds its way through the mountains for a couple of hours.

Province of Milan...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yangon to Inle Lake... VIP bus? Motion sick?

I read that night buses generally arrive at destination very early in the morning. Is it the easy to find a taxi or place to wait for the next connection? is it safe?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yangon to Inle Lake... VIP bus? Motion sick?

Most are not quite so early now as leave later. If buses are arriving then there will be taxis or other transport available and Myanmar is generally very safe country. If you are connecting then most bus stations have an office for each bus company where you can go and buy tickets and wait until bus is ready.

6. Re: Yangon to Inle Lake... VIP bus? Motion sick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 November 2017, 02:05

Reply to: Yangon to Inle Lake... VIP bus? Motion sick?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted