We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of “G.money” money changer at the arrival hall Yangon

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
9 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of “G.money” money changer at the arrival hall Yangon

Beware of “G.money” money changer at the arrival hall, Yangon International airport Terminal 2

We arrived at Yangon airport at 11.20am on 14/10/17. After getting through the immigration and collected our baggage, there were a few money changers just next to the baggage carousel. My husband and his friend noticed that this particular money changer gives better rates than a few others there. [1 USD to 1354 Kyats]. My husband changed 300USD while our friend changed 400USD.

My husband should get 81 pieces of 5,000 Kyat + 1 piece of 1,000 Kyat + 1 piece of 200 Kyat. Total kyats is 406,200 Kyats. The lady at the counter put the notes in the counting machine which was below the counter with the digital display above the counter. The digital display indicated 81 pieces of 5,000 Kyats, and together with the 1,000kyat (1) and 200 kyat (1), she tied the notes and handed them to my husband. The same goes with our friend who was supposed to get 108 pieces of 5,000kyats. Both my husband and our friend trusted the lady at the money changer and pocketed the notes without asking for receipts.

Upon reaching the hotel and after counting both stacks of Kyats, both my husband and our friend realised that we were cheated by the money changer. My husband got short of 25 pieces of 5,000 Kyats note and our friend was short of 23 pieces of 5,000 Kyats note. This means that the counting machine is inaccurate or she may have left some notes on the machine when she handed the money to us.

The owner of the hotel advised us to go back to the airport to report this matter. Upon reaching the airport, we managed to convince to security guard manning the entrance to let us into the arrival hall. When we confronted the lady at the money changer counter, she denied that she has short changed us. I demanded to see the CCTV behind her but she said that it was spoilt. Only after I threatened to get a police to see the CCTV, she felt scared and finally relented and returned both our money.

Don’t ever trust anyone. Count the money carefully before leaving the money changer counter.

12 replies to this topic
Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
881 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Beware of “G.money” money changer at the arrival hall Yangon

Are 5000 kyat notes the largest in common circulation? I find China to be inconvenient with its 100rmb note being the largest, but that's still US$15 - a lot more than 5000kyat.

Edited: 27 October 2017, 10:45
Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
950 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Beware of “G.money” money changer at the arrival hall Yangon

10,000 Note is largest.

@Poon C, I just mentioned few thoughts I had. That's all. Thanks for your share. Good luck next time. :)

KP

Reply to: Beware of “G.money” money changer at the arrival hall Yangon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted