We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grab in Yangon

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Grab in Yangon

Has anyone in this forum use Grab in Yangon? Is it reliable?

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
14 replies to this topic
Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
360 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grab in Yangon

I use it several times a week, yes very reliable in general, many of the taxi drivers dont speak much english though (they'll usually call you after haveing received the booking, to find out where exactly you're waiting) ... But as you can see drivers name and registration plate number, it's usually easy to spot them, when you're standing on the street. there's also a lot of Promo codes, which you'll receive when installing the app (thursday 1000 Kyat off and such) Using "GRABYANGON" promo code, will give you 3 times 2000 Kyat discount!

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grab in Yangon

Do we pay cash for booking grab in yangon?

Myanmar
Level Contributor
475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grab in Yangon

Very reliable! Yes, you need to pay cash in Yangon. But your location and the taxi is quite far away, maybe your booking will be cancelled or you will be requested to cancel your booking. Also, if the driver doesn't understand your language, it may be difficult to come pickup at your location because sometimes, grab doesn't show the exact location if you will book with a location name.

Good Luck!

TZ

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grab in Yangon

Hi. If we have an overseas phone number, will they accept our ride- since the above post states the drivers usually call? (I'm planning on getting a local sim card, but just in case.) Thank you!

Level Contributor
475 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grab in Yangon

Yes... with that said, you need to bring an unlocked phone, buy a SIM, which comes with a whatever phone number.. Uber/Grab/Lifts whatever apps will take care the new whatever number. Now, you are with a new whatever phone numbers:-)

Make sure, your app is set up with cash options payment and you are ready to go.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grab in Yangon

Thank you. Sorry, just in case I don't get the sim card can I still get rides with my Canadian phone number? I'm planning to get a sim card in Myanmar, and my phone is unlocked but I had problems before so I just want to check.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grab in Yangon

Normally the driver contact you via phone about where to pick you up. If you are using Canadian number, I think they are able to call you.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
360 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grab in Yangon

I live here and use Grab all the time, usually works great, drivers reliable and price fair/low. What sometimes happens, is, that drivers who are really far away (10 minutes) accept your booking, then you'll need to cancel and order another one ... At my job I also meet many cabin crew from Airlines (Dubai ...) who are using Grab Taxi here with their UAE or european numbers, never heard of any problems ... The driver will not call you then probably - but there's a "Chat window" once a driver has accepted - so, you can exchange messages there (adddress) instead of calling .... But anyway a local SIM would make sense, as with a foreign SIM you'd also need to be connected to WIFI - if you use roaming, the taxi ride will become quite a lot more expensive ... Hope that helps!

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
475 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grab in Yangon

Yes.. your Canadian phone # works, too; however, you need WiFi or hotspot to connect to internet. And you will be in trouble if you are out of that comfort zone. That’s why the SIM card comes in and takes care the issues.

The driver may not familiar with your Canadian phone numbers and may cancel the service because he may think that it could be a prank called :-)

Good luck!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
17,184 posts
401 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grab in Yangon

A cab calling a Canadian mobile number will cost him $$$'s so do as everyone does and buy a local SIM at arrivals.

SS

Reply to: Grab in Yangon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted