We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Korea rail bike & sea train trail

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
Korea rail bike & sea train trail

Hi, do anyone able to help my questions below:

1) Can we travel rail bike and sea train on the same day?

2) How to travel from sokcho to both places?

New York
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Korea rail bike & sea train trail

Are you talking about the Sea Train runs from Gangneung to Samcheok (…visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp…) and Rail bike at Samcheok (…visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp…)? I suppose you can hit all of them if you are willing to ride lots of buses and taxis.

From Sokcho, you will have to go Gangneung station where you can hop on Sea Train. (Bus ride to Gangneung bus terminal from sokcho is about 1 hr + raxi to the rail station) Sea Train to Samcheok takes about 1 hr 20 mins. You will then have to travel to Gungchon Station, where the rail bike departs. When you are done with rail bike (approximately 2 hrs? The course is 5.4km ) you need to travel to Samcheok bus terminal where can catch the return bus to Sokcho.

Daejeon, South Korea
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Korea rail bike & sea train trail

I did the rail bike ride a few weeks ago, it was a lot of fun! Takes about an hour. You can catch a bus to Gungchon from Samcheok Bus Terminal, which runs roughly every hour. It's easy enough to get a taxi out there, but difficult to find one to come back!

You could also consider visiting Haesingdang Park (aka Penis Park) following the bike ride; it's only a few km from the end of the railbike ride. The coastline is also stunning!

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Korea rail bike & sea train trail

Thanks blee & debb..

Any idea how much is the taxi fare fm Gungchon to the rail bike?

Do we need to book the rail bike & sea train trail in advance?

New York
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Korea rail bike & sea train trail

I would definitely reserve the rail bike.

Daejeon, South Korea
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Korea rail bike & sea train trail

I take it you mean a taxi from Samcheok to Gungchon? I can't actually remember how much it was - I think around 15,000won (but don't take my word for it!)

Yes, you need to book the rail bike in advance. The main problem is that to book it online, you need a Korean ID number, so you should book via a travel agent unless you have a Korean friend who can help you out!

6. Re: Korea rail bike & sea train trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 08:16