We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to S Korea - Free & easy?

Singapore
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time to S Korea - Free & easy?

Hi, my husband & I are from Singapore. We are thinking of joining a tour & extend few days for free & easy. But I have received so many feedback that it'll be tough cos the places are far from each other & language's a barrier.

I heard online there are volunteers called Goodwill People who are willing to bring tourists ard. Anyone tried that? Any comments?

4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to S Korea - Free & easy?

i went free and easy all 7 days of my trip.. didnt like the restrictions that tour groups impose.. it's fairly easy to navigate around via their subway as there are english names..

ordering of food.. well we ate the typical korean food.. after a while you know what they are called.. i went into a bbq restaurant before.. no english menus.. but we ordered based on the photos..

trial and error.. that's the fun of it isnt it

shopping.. the retailers can speak very basic english so i have no problems with that..

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,184 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to S Korea - Free & easy?

the places are far from each other"

What places interest you? You can do Seoul places easily and by local transport. Many other places are on KTX bullet train. Places that need long distance bus may be more of a challenge

Level Contributor
243 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to S Korea - Free & easy?

Don't worry. not difficult at all...

Seek help from tourist information centres in popular tourist areas, hotel staff who can speak english and friendly tourist info staff dressed in red, can be seen standing on the streets to assist tourists.

Many retail shops and restaurants employ China Nationals. Usually, one will be around. Not a problem if you can converse in Mandarin. I met one korean in a shop who can speak Mandarin as she is learning Mandarin.

Before going, do more homework, download helpful apps and learn a bit of basis korean and you will ready to enjoy a wonderful holiday without the restrictions of a tour package.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to S Korea - Free & easy?

Hi I am interested to go 2013 March. Wanted to visit places in Seoul that we see scenes in Korea Drama. Mind sharing your itner with me and where to stay? No. of travellers =2

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
10 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to S Korea - Free & easy?

HI I went to Seoul and Jeongsan with my boyfriend on May 2012. itinerary can be seen in …blogspot.com/2012/05/lovely-spring-south-ko… or …blogspot.com/2012/05/lovely-spring-south-ko…

Even if you do not do your homework. You can just go to the tourist centre located at M plaza, myeongdong. All the girl at tourist girl were very kind and helpful. I really like the English speaking girl. She help me get discount for performing art show. She even print out the detail road map and translate to us. The restaurant she introduce us to eat was great too. Generally, most of the korean still willing to help even though their English is limited.

Have fun in South Korea

Edited: 25 September 2012, 13:55
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to S Korea - Free & easy?

We are planning to visit this year. Do you mind to forward me your itinerary? Many thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to S Korea - Free & easy?

Any recommendation on the place to stay for F&E like cheaper places?

KL
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to S Korea - Free & easy?

I am currently staying in Namsan guesthouse. Best among the guesthouse. I am also stayed in Namsan 1 and 2 during my past visits two years ago and last year. Very near to subway. Best to book Namsan 2 or 3. Book early.

south africa
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to S Korea - Free & easy?

We will arrive at Incheon Airport on Tuesday, 20 August 2013. We need to get to Chungju where we will be staying for two weeks. Does anyone have information on trains and busses going in that direction? Apparently the Mugungwa Train travels to Chungju, but I'm struggling to find out if it departs from Seoul Train Station, or from the airport. Cost per ticket?

south africa
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to S Korea - Free & easy?

We will arrive at Incheon Airport on Tuesday, 20 August 2013. We need to get to Chungju where we will be staying for two weeks. Does anyone have information on trains and busses going in that direction? Apparently the Mugungwa Train travels to Chungju, but I'm struggling to find out if it departs from Seoul Train Station, or from the airport. Cost per ticket?