We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we have to book tours or can we go freestyle

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do we have to book tours or can we go freestyle

Hi all

I’m traveling to Korea mid December for the first time with 3 others, do we have to pay for tours in order to visit a place or can we just go without tickets or tour passes. For example going to the underground market or sightseeing around Gangnam ect

Only because everywhere I look online it’s always book a tour

6 replies to this topic
1. Re: Do we have to book tours or can we go freestyle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 October 2017, 16:35

Sydney
Level Contributor
886 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we have to book tours or can we go freestyle

Only tour I ever booked was the JSA with Koridoor. Have done it 3 times now.

You will be amazed at how easy it is to do the vast majority of stuff on your own. All tourist attractions have official info sites in English, subway is in English and totally easy to navigate, locals are friendly and helpful, tourist info and volunteer helpers go above and beyond to help you. You will be surprised... Just don't land and then start researching. Go there with all the info at hand, clarify and finer details with tourist info or your hotel reception and hit the ground running!!!!

Edited: 12 October 2017, 19:56
Pasig, Philippines
Level Contributor
338 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we have to book tours or can we go freestyle

Seoul is a very tourist friendly place! :)

I've gone five times DIY trips there (going six this coming October 27) and it feels perfectly great :)

Save Reply
4. Re: Do we have to book tours or can we go freestyle

Hi....just wondering, is it better to purchase online for entrance tickets to some tourist sites before we travel to seoul or just buy the tickets at the entrance when I'm there?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,721 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we have to book tours or can we go freestyle

I have never thought to buy tickets for sites except on the ground in Seoul. Why would it be better to do this, I wonder? Most sites are very cheap..

if you buy through an agent abroad they must be making money, so why give them that opportunity?

Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we have to book tours or can we go freestyle

It’s really very easy to commute or navigate the streets in Seoul. Most of the attractions are very easily accessible by the subway and buses. The fact of the matter is that Seoul or Busan is very tourist-friendly. All the info in TP here are already very helpful. But if you have the time do some more research in the internet. There’s abundant of valuable info available.

As for entrance tickets to attractions, visit the official Korea Tourism website. You will save a little money pre-buy the discounted tickets online via their links. And if you fly in with their national carriers Asiana or KoreaAir, your boarding pass also entitles you some privileges.

IMHO, the only organised tour you need is the one-full-day trip to Petit France, Nami Island, Rail Bike and Garden of the Morning Calm. Dont miss it! A word of caution - I was told it doesnt operate every day, so do save the correct day in your itinerary for it. I cant recommend the agency lest i breach any rule in here. But surely you can google search it.

Enjoy in Seoul!

Reply to: Do we have to book tours or can we go freestyle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted