We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety Around Yeongdeungpo Metro Station After Dark

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
17 posts
Safety Around Yeongdeungpo Metro Station After Dark
Save

Hello Seoul Experts,

(My other post did not attract any replies maybe because of the title. Reposting with a more appropriate title after deleting the OP)

I read a couple of posts that the Yeongdeungpo metro station area may not feel safe after dark because of the number of suspicious characters hanging around there. But these posts are several years old. Is this still true? Below TA post and several Google maps reviews of the metro station.

https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g294197-i8161-k12529201-Staying_safe_in_Seoul_What_areas_should_I_avoid-Seoul.html#99897329

Planning a five-week-long solo South Korea trip starting on September 10th in Seoul. I want to book a hotel for the first 3-4 days and figure out the rest of the trip plan when I get there. I am looking to stay at the Fairfield by Marriott Seoul (Yeongdeungpo) hotel mainly because it is in my budget ($50 a night max)

Would it be too much hassle to travel to the main places to visit in Seoul?

Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
52 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: Safety Around Yeongdeungpo Metro Station After Dark
Save

I've stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott @ Times Square which is in that area, and caught the subway from Yeongdeungpo. I thought the area was fine. In fact, Seoul would have to be one of the safest cities you're ever likely to visit. That trip was for work so I didn't do much sightseeing, just a trip to Suwon on the Sunday after I arrived.

JHL
Seoul, South Korea
Destination Expert
for South Korea
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
854 reviews
656 helpful votes
2. Re: Safety Around Yeongdeungpo Metro Station After Dark
Save

If you don't try hanging around from corner to corner, it's okay until midnight.

Seoul, South Korea
Destination Expert
for South Korea, Seoul
Level Contributor
4,944 posts
56 reviews
57 helpful votes
3. Re: Safety Around Yeongdeungpo Metro Station After Dark
Save

The bigger problem is that the area around the Courtyard isn't easily accessible. The station is HUGE and it's a walk. And not much around there for visitors. Yes, there's an entire city and restaurants and giant mall, but there are many better places to stay with brand name hotels.

Incheon, South Korea
Level Contributor
769 posts
4. Re: Safety Around Yeongdeungpo Metro Station After Dark
Save

As a Korean, to be honest. Seeing in the foreigner in the dark make us scary. So don't worry about it.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
17 posts
5. Re: Safety Around Yeongdeungpo Metro Station After Dark
Save

Thank you Ian_from_Canberra, JHL, and Michael for your valuable insights. Booked a brand-name hotel in the Myeongdong area. Thank you, Michael.

Kyungho P: interesting comment :)

Reply to: Safety Around Yeongdeungpo Metro Station After Dark
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.