We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DMZ - Is it open for tourists?

Port St. Mary...
Level Contributor
42 posts
387 reviews
402 helpful votes
DMZ - Is it open for tourists?
Save

Hi, my partner and I are visiting Seoul in early January 2023 and were hoping to visit the DMZ. I can see from various articles and forums that it may be closed, or partially closed. Does anyone have any recent experience / there now who can advise?

If it is partially closed, what parts are open?

Many thanks

5 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
54 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: DMZ - Is it open for tourists?
Save

Watching as we are interested in any responses

Thank you

Seoul, South Korea
Destination Expert
for South Korea, Seoul
Level Contributor
5,023 posts
57 reviews
59 helpful votes
2. Re: DMZ - Is it open for tourists?
Save

The DMZ tunnel and other areas are open for tourists, but NOT the JSA secure "Blue House" area where you always see on TV. You just need to book direct with like Kooridoor, the most popular, and see what they say. Even when the JSA was "open" it was never guaranteed because they would close randomly for a variety of reasons.

Port St. Mary...
Level Contributor
42 posts
387 reviews
402 helpful votes
3. Re: DMZ - Is it open for tourists?
Save

Hi Michael, many thanks for your response - much appreciated. I thought this might be the case so cheers for the confirmation.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
54 reviews
19 helpful votes
4. Re: DMZ - Is it open for tourists?
Save

Hi. So we just did the DMZ.

Was a great tour. Apparently the JSA has been closed since 2019 and there’s no mention of times/dates for the future.

DMZ has only been open since May 2022

1 post
5. Re: DMZ - Is it open for tourists?
Save

Yes, I saw many friends reserve the experience on Korean OTAs, such as MyRealTrip or Budify

Reply to: DMZ - Is it open for tourists?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.