We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seoul 7-Day Itinerary - first winter trip

Kuala Lumpur
3 posts
Save Topic
Seoul 7-Day Itinerary - first winter trip

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children(age 7 and 12) will be visiting Seoul in Dec. This is our first time going for winter trip and we are from tropical country. Appreciate if any kind soul can advise us on our itinerary below and any tips for winter trip for a first timer. BTW, we will be staying in Namsan Guesthouse and IBville in Myeongdong.

Day 1

-Lotte World -since I’m bringing my kids along, I should let them enjoy first… lotte world would be fun for kids right? I also dun want them to feel too cold since this is the first time for us to feel the winter coolness… Which transport should I use to go to Lotte World?

-Namdaemun Market

Day 2

-Seoul City Hall

-CheongGyeCheon Stream

-Insadong

-Bukchon

-Gyeong Bok Gung Palace

-Itaewon

-Dongdaemun Market (night)

do you think we can cover all these in one day? Are these too pack?

Day 3

-Nami Island

-Dongdaemun Market (if we can’t make it in day 2 above) / Myeongdong shopping

Day 4

-Coex Mall & Aquarium

-Namsan Seoul Tower

Day 5 – 14/12/2010

Ski Resort Day Trip – I’m thinking of Jisan Ski Resort or Yangji Pine Resort since both are the nearest to Seoul. Which one better?

Day 6 – 15/12/2010

Korean Folk Village and Everland – one day trip, should be ok rite? Should I hire guide/driver for this trip?

Day 7 – 16/12/2010

Free and Easy – Myeongdong Shopping and Airport Duty Free shopping

Ok, how’s that? Am I being too ambitious on the trip? Or did I miss anything that I should add in for this trip?

Some queries:

1. I read about Hongik University, is it worth to include in my trip? If yes, do you think I can slot into any of the days above?

2. Spa /sauna – Thinking of going since I keep imagining myself cracking the eggshell to someone’s head… I'm addicted to Kdrama >>>LOL… any recommendation in Myeongdong area? Do you think it would be suitable to bring children there? What time is the best time to visit, day or night?

3. Winter clothing – do you think 3 long john sufficient for a 7 days trip? What about socks, hats, shawl? Should I buy more from my place or just buy in Seoul? Can I wear sport shoes?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post. I'm worried and anxious at the same time for our first winter vacation.

South Korea
Destination Expert
for South Korea
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Seoul 7-Day Itinerary - first winter trip

Day 1.

Lotte World is located at Jamsil station, line No.2, so take a metro. You may have to transfer the metro to take line No.2.

Day 2.

It’ll be a tough day, especially with your children. 2~3 attractions will be enough in a day I think.

Day 5.

Both ski resorts are good for beginner, but Jisan is more comfortable I think.

Day 6.

Actually you don’t need to hire any guider or driver.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seoul 7-Day Itinerary - first winter trip

Well, it looks like you did your research! Here are few comments/tips though.

Day 1 - Take the subway to Lotte World, especially in traffic. But you could also take the taxi. It will cost about 15,000 won from Myeongdong, so not too expensive considering there are four of you. The subway is 1,000 won per person.

Day 2 - You can do it, but I think you will be tired. You can go to Itaewon for shopping until 10pm and then go shopping in Dongdaemun until 5am. Are you muslim? Itaewon has halal restaurants, so maybe a good stop to get dinner and then shop.

Day 3 - Be sure to get dinner and rest at your hotel, before going shopping in Dongdaemun. Don't worry, Dongdaemun is open until late at night. Myeongdong stores are open until 10pm or 11pm, some close later.

Day 4 - Why not add the Noryangjin Seafood Market for dinner after the tower? If you have bought your warm coats, go on the Han River cruise after dinner!

Day 5 - I don't know those ski resorts.

Day 6 - No need to hire a guide/driver. Public transportation is excellent in Korea. I'm not sure if I'd want to do both in one day though.

Day 7 - Myeongdong shopping is more fun in the evening time. Why not go to Insadong and buy some traditional crafts and tea?

Hongik University is optional, but not a must. It's more for college types and nightlife. The shopping in Dongdaemun is better anyhow.

Dragon Hill Spa next to Yongsan station has big facilities. It's more fun at night, especially if there is a football game and lots of people. But only go if you really want to relax. There are more exciting things to do then get sweaty in the steam rooms and watch TV in a hall. Of course, it might be worth it for you if you get a body scrub and relax in the sauna.

You should wear comfortable sneakers because you are obviously going walk around a lot and shop a lot! Koreans are somewhat fashion-conscious, but forgiving towards tourists.

You will definitely need a jacket and sweater at the airport, but you can buy everything else at Dongdaemun (it's mostly indoor shopping). Dongdaemun is open from 10am until 5am.

Comments: You have a lot of shopping, but almost no culture or food. Why not add a traditional Korean music and dance performance at Jeongdong Theater? Maybe the kids will like something more like Jump or Nanta? Or go have dinner at The Korea House and see a traditional performance there? How about going to Samcheonggak for a beautiful "Daejanggeum"-style lunch? It's royal Korean cuisine at its best and not too expensive for what you get.

For first-time visitors to Seoul:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g294197-s409/Seoul:Sou…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seoul 7-Day Itinerary - first winter trip

Hi ujiyus,

I am planning a trip with my family (wife and 3 year old) to Seoul in Dec too

Coming from the similar tropic area, and under the same KDrama influence, I think we share similar interest in terms of sights we want to see.

I am planning to hit ski/spa resort on first 2 days direct from the airport.

daemyungresort.com/asp/…oceanworld.asp

Then hitting back to Seoul.

Will be doing Nami island and exploring the other filming sites recommended on the following website.

…visitkorea.or.kr/ena/SI/SI_EN_3_4_2.jsp…

Visiting Hongik for the coffee prince 1st cafe

www.iaminkorea.com/xe/…

and possibly Petite France

http://www.pfcamp.com/home.htm

Definitely will squeeze in Lotte World, Namdaemum, Dongdaemum and staying in Myeongdong.

Also trying to put in a visit to the Yeoju premium outlet. http://www.premiumoutlets.co.kr/eng/index.asp

Hopefully 8 days is enough for me.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seoul 7-Day Itinerary - first winter trip

Unless your children are used to cold weather, it is advisable to layer them, so that you can add or take off as required. I find the biting wind makes the cold unbearable at times. We select comfortable clothes which keep us warm when walking out in the cold and yet can be easily taken off when in the restaurants or malls.

Example: 1) jeans 2)shirt 3) front zipped fleece/light wool sweater 4) down jacket. 5) woolies for neck 6) long woollen socks.

Item (3) and (4) can be taken off easily in the heated malls and restaurants Brands like Northface, Columbia down jackets is a good choice.

Children may need long johns as Malaysian jeans are made of thinner fabrics.

Sox World (Malaysia ) has good quality wool socks at about RM30-35 per pair.

Hope this help.

Edited: 12 October 2010, 13:37
Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seoul 7-Day Itinerary - first winter trip

OMG, Petite France was like the biggest waste of time and money ever! I cannot believe they actually charge an entrance fee to people so you can see a few empty buildings that are really not special AT ALL. There is virtually nothing to see there. It's not even worth the drive! I felt ripped off almost immediately after entering.

(This is just my personal opinion. I am entitled to an opinion on the Internet. So please don't threaten to sue me.)

Kuala Lumpur
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seoul 7-Day Itinerary - first winter trip

Wow... thanks so much for the tips!! Will re-look into my itinerary esp my Day 2, I dun wanna tire out my kids and myself.

JJKorea- Do you think we should get a ski day trip tour instead of going all by ourself?

Westinhan - Yes, we are a muslim family. I would love to try korean food esp the roadside stall but afraid that it is non-halal . I love dubbokgi and kimchi soup!!! We might be able to eat the sweet potato...as in Kdrama :) :) About the performance, I think my kids would love to watch Jump... will look into this and slot into my trip.

sinsehkansai - Gosh, I've forgotten about the drama places of interest... My friend was telling me, if it snow, then I can experience the "Winter Sonata" when I visit Nami Island... kekee!!!

Cassandra - Thanks for the winter clothing tips. I hope we can stand the cold weather!!!

Thanks so much everyone and if you have anymore tips, please let me know...

7. Re: Seoul 7-Day Itinerary - first winter trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2011, 12:17