We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myeong-dong vs. Itaewon

Which Seoul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Myeong-dong vs. Itaewon

When I last went to Seoul, I stayed at the Ibis in Myeong-dong. I love that area of Seoul. I will be returning to Seoul in late April and I would love to stay at the Ibis again but to is double the price I last paid.

I found an ultra-cool looking hotel in Itaewon but the Itaewon area appears to be less swanky than Myeong-dong.

Is the Itaewon area safe (both day and night)?

Is Myeong-dong easily accessible from Itaewon?

Can I get the names of some reasonably priced (<$100) hotels in Myeong-dong? I don't anything fancy just a clean room.

How far is Namsan Guesthouse from the Ibis Myeong-dong?

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Myeong-dong vs. Itaewon

Are you talking about the IP Boutique Hotel in Itaewon? I've heard many good things about this hotel and it is probably the newest and best hotel in that area.

Itaewon is known for its nightlife and shopping. The shopping is not as good as in Myeongdong, but they sell larger American sizes and have many U.S. brands. There are many clubs, bars, and pubs in the area and there are also many international restaurants (American, Italian, Japanese, Egyptian, Pakistani, Nigerian, etc.) There is also a subway station (Itaewon). Itaewon is in a central location, so taking a taxi is cheap to other places. But there is heavy congestion because of the narrow main street that is very busy, especially on the weekends.

Itaewon can get wild on the weekends and there tends to be more homeless people and strange people around. So be careful. But I don't think it is any more dangerous than in major cities in the U.S. or Europe. It is definitely not "unsafe", but not as safe a neighborhood as Myeongdong.

There are no sights within walking distance like Myeongdong, however.

Namsan Guesthouse should be a 15 minute or more walk to Ibis Myeongdong.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Myeong-dong vs. Itaewon

Thanks so much for the comprehensive answer.

Yes. I am talking about the IP Boutique Hotel in Itaewon.

Is the IP Hotel in a good location?

Thanks again!

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Myeong-dong vs. Itaewon

It's in a pretty decent location. It is on a busy street, so you might get some traffic noise on a busy weekend night. It is about a 5 minute walk down the hill to the Itaewon subway station and the bars/clubs/etc. There are a bunch of Japanese sake bars in the immediate area and a couple of nice French/Italian restaurants, too.

You can take a taxi for less than $10 to most places in Seoul from Itaewon.

Seoul, South Korea
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Myeong-dong vs. Itaewon

Do you know how do I take subway station from the ibis myeong-dong hotel to the itaewon station. how do i know i'm in the right route (of the subway)? and how much does it cost for taking subway, say from the ibis myeong dong to itaewon? worth than taxi?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Myeong-dong vs. Itaewon

Use this website to navigate the subway

http://www.smrt.co.kr/english_smrt/index.jsp#

Myeong -dong Line 4, Transfer at Samgakji Line 6, Arrive at Itaewon subway station

Journey time: approx 20 mins

Cost: 900 won with a transit card or 1000 flat rate adult fare.

6. Re: Myeong-dong vs. Itaewon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2011, 18:04
Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Myeong-dong vs. Itaewon

Hi,

I would like to ask whether myeongdong is better to go in the day or at night any difference?

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Myeong-dong vs. Itaewon

No big difference. There are definitely more people on weekend nights though. But why would you want to be with so many crowds of people? It can get to be too much. Everything closes early though (around 10pm or 11pm) because there are not many restaurants or bars. It's mostly shops and outdoor stalls.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Myeong-dong vs. Itaewon

By the way, I just went to the backstreets of Itaewon and it has really developed nicely. There are a bunch of shops (albeit all for women) behind the Yongsan District Office. And there are a lot of nice restaurants and bars behind the Hamilton Hotel now. It's really redeveloping.

10. Re: Myeong-dong vs. Itaewon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:16