We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed for travel from Gimpo Airport to Myeong Dong

Which Seoul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help needed for travel from Gimpo Airport to Myeong Dong

Hello to all experts, I have some questions about transportation issues!

I need to travel from Gimpo International Airport to Myeong Dong station and I have found 2 options. Do tell me which which is better and if there is a better option, do let me know!

Option 1: Take the AREX express from Gimpo to Seoul Station for 1250 won (approx 20 mins) then transit to line 4 for 2 stops to Myeong Dong station (how much is this 2 stops for? I assume its approximately 5-10 mins?)

Option 2: Take subway line 5 to Dongdaemun stadium and change to line 4 to reach Myeong Dong station ( How much is this trip and approximately how long will it take?)

I have some luggages with me so I'm not sure if i will face a problem if i bring them onto the subway if it will be VERY packed with people!

Do advice me! THANKS!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed for travel from Gimpo Airport to Myeong Dong

Hi Alicia

Refer my previous message. Like I said, the airport limousine bus is still a better option. I took the train from Gimpo to Seoul Station & had to lug our luggage from Seoul Station to Line 4. You have to get out of Seoul Station to go to line 4 and the it takes about 5 to 10 mins of walking and at certain point, there is no escalator, you have to carry your luggage up & down the stairs. As for the limousine bus, the bus captain will store your luggage in the luggage compartment like those express bus to Malaysia and it costs about 10,000 from Gimpo to Myeongdong and along the way you can enjoy the scenery.

I took the train from Gimpo at mid-day on a Sat afternoon, it was quite pack. The Seoul Station is very big and packed with people, quite a choatic feeling. Yes, it's only a few stops from Seoul station to Myeongdong. When reaching Myeongdong station, you have to carry your luggage and walk the stairs to the road level, there's no escalator like in Spore.

I suppose it depends whether your hotel is near the airport limousine bus stop.

singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed for travel from Gimpo Airport to Myeong Dong

Hey thanks Hume17,

I think I'll reply to you about the transportation in this thread lest it gets confusing.

I'm staying at this place called Zaza backpackers. Not too sure if it is near the airport limousine bus though. I'll give it a check in awhile.

Hmmm.it does sounds like the airport limousine bus is quite a good option to consider though it costs like almost close to 5 times the price of the subway. But you get to save on the hassle of lugging ur luggage around though.

Anyway, you have any idea how long it takes from Gimpo to Myeong Dong? I was thinking it might defeat the purpose if the airport limousine bus stop is not near my lodging though.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed for travel from Gimpo Airport to Myeong Dong

"When reaching Myeongdong station, you have to carry your luggage and walk the stairs to the road level, there's no escalator like in Spore."

There is an elevator, however.

singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed for travel from Gimpo Airport to Myeong Dong

Hmm, I have trouble reading the airport limousine bus route from this website.

www.airportlimousine.co.kr/route/routee02.htm

If I'm taking the bus 6001 from Myeongdong Sejung hotel to Incheon airport. Does it mean to say that it is 14000 won because it is for Incheon airport?

If that is the case, do I have to change any bus at the seoul station as I'm assuming that they meant Seoul station when they put "Seoul" on the page.

singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed for travel from Gimpo Airport to Myeong Dong

Sorry, i meant, if i take the bus 6001 from Gimpo Airport to Myeong Dong Sejung stop, what would be the cost?

I found a cheaper bus route that is bus 6015 from Myeongdong Sejung to Incheon airport already.

Correct me if im wrong!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed for travel from Gimpo Airport to Myeong Dong

No, it's a direct bus from Sejong hotel to Gimpo airport, then Incheon airport. You don't need to alight at Seoul station to connect to another bus.

Yes 14,000 won is to Incheon, 7,000 won to Gimpo. 6001 goes to Gimpo then incheon. Service 6015 goes from Myeongdong to Incheon, cost 10,000 won. From your hotel map, your hotel is located across Sejong hotel, nearer to Namsan Tower. I don't know how far u need to walk to the bus stop. Mayb you send a email to your hotel and ask them about the walking distance to the nearest airport limousine bus stop.

Edited: 11 June 2012, 16:31
singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed for travel from Gimpo Airport to Myeong Dong

Thanks Hume,

I wanted to check if this is a one way route or it serves both ways? As in, Does bus 6001 go from Gimpo to Myeongdong Sejung station?

Yeah, I've dropped an email to my hotel asking them about the nearest bus stop already! Thanks for reminding me!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed for travel from Gimpo Airport to Myeong Dong

yes, bus 6001 goes from Gimpo to Myeongdong Sejong hotel. From Sejong hotel to Gimpo, it will stop at every bus stop along the way to the airport to pick up passengers. Same for Gimpo/Myeongdong, it will also drop passengers along the designated bus stops.

singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help needed for travel from Gimpo Airport to Myeong Dong

Thanks!

It seems like this is the best option considering:

1) I dont need to do any changes

2) I have luggages

The only thing I'm thinking now is the time taken. Read and heard alot about the traffic congestion! You have any idea approximately how long it would take? I read on the net that it will take approximately 65-70 mins but am not sure if any traffic congestion time is taken into consideration!

Anyway, is the metro really that packed? I mean, i'm still considering whether I should take the metro if it is really much faster though i have to do changes.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help needed for travel from Gimpo Airport to Myeong Dong

After picking up the passengers along the way, it hits the highway so traffic congestion is kept to a minimum. I took the bus from Sejong hotel to Incheon at about 11 am, traffic was ok. Strangely, the time taken for bus and train (need to change train) is about the same, ie, about an hour, ie if going to Incheon, if going to Gimpo, is about 35 mins.