We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in hotel at Giza or Cairo?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in hotel at Giza or Cairo?

Hi, my tour company book me at a hotel in Giza, La Meridian to be specific. I wonder how far away is it from Cairo? Would it be

possible to hire a taxi and explore the grand bazaar at night?

How much time is the travel and approximately how much is

the taxi ride?

Or would it be better if I request a hotel in Cairo instead?

Would it add extra value if I stay in Giza instead of Cairo?

Thanks for any information.

Mentioned in this post
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in hotel at Giza or Cairo?

One of the advantages of the Giza area is that you would be close to the Pyramids of Giza and other historical sites. However the area is dull in the evening. There isn't much to see.

If you're planning to go out in the evening to enjoy a walk or a meal in a nice restaurant then I advise you to stay downtown.

CHEERS

Edited: 21 July 2010, 14:51
Mentioned in this post
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in hotel at Giza or Cairo?

Your question comes up often on this forum. I'm happy to share my opinion, although I'm probably in the minority (again). I've always chosen to stay in Giza. I was at LeMeridien in 2006 & would be happy to return there on my next visit to Egypt. There's nothing like waking up in the morning with The Pyramids right outside your bedroom window.

I can definitely understand why many people prefer the convenience of a hotel in downtown Cairo. But for me, it's Giza every time.

Mentioned in this post
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Lake Worth, Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in hotel at Giza or Cairo?

What tour company did you use? Have you gone yet? Any recommendations? Any info is appreciated.

4. Re: Stay in hotel at Giza or Cairo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2011, 13:17