We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Nairobi airport at night landside

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Nairobi airport at night landside

I am doing a trip to Tanzania later this summer, and my first stop is Arusha (not possible to change the itinerary, as it doesn't work otherwise!). I am flying to Nairobi as flights to Kilimanjaro are twice as expensive, and Dar Es Salam is much further away.

Straight from Nairobi airport, I am planning to take a bus to Arusha. I know there are busses at 8/8.30am and 2/2.30pm. The flight I want to get arrives at 2am at the airport, so let's say I will be out of the customs at 3am. The bus leaves from the airport at 8am, so there is no point for me to go to the bus station in Nairobi, or go to the hotel as there is so little time.

How safe and feasible is it for a solo-female traveller to spend 5 hours at night at the outside part (landside) of Nairobi airport? I understand that all airport lounges and most cafes are airside, and waiting there would not be a problem if I could access them! But because I am taking a bus after I arrive, I will have no access to that part of the airport. From what I gathered there is only one coffee shop landside - Java Coffee House - which is open 24 hours and is at the Unit T1B. Do you think this idea is completely crazy?

The other morning flight I could take arrives at 10am, but it's significantly more expensive, so I want to see if I really should not take the 2am one.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 21:16
Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
2 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,402 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Nairobi airport at night landside

JKIA is very safe, nothing to worry about.

At 2 AM in the morning, best to stay inside the Airport compounds.

There are VIP Lounges where you can sit out until dawn & have breakfast at JAVA.

https:/…nairobi-airport.htm

Shuttles to Arusha do collect passengers from JKIA eg Riverside & Impala.

impalashuttles.com/impalashuttlebusservicesn…

https://www.riverside-shuttle.com/

Good Luck

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
522 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Nairobi airport at night landside

There is Java Coffee House (close to Emirates Office) and shortly before Paul's Cafe (with free wifi). From the exit of the terminal it's just a few hundred meters. That's where I will spend this night. It's safe, just walk along the airport building.

Reply to: Staying at Nairobi airport at night landside
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted